Title bar roll-up feature in OS9 for OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nishishei, Aug 21, 2008.

1. nishishei macrumors regular

What happened to the title bar roll-up/minimize feature in OS9? Right-clicking or double clicking the title bar in OS9 would result in the window rolling up, showing only the title bar. It's great for reducing screen clutter while still keeping the windows on the desktop (not hidden into the dock).

It's no longer in OS X 10.5. I loved that, so much that I even installed a MS Windows version of the same feature. Is there a program or hack to achieve this in Leopard?

[​IMG]

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

There was WindowShade. Dunno about anything that works in Leopard though.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's a beta version for Leopard...available here (.dmg download).

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

No longer works in Snow leopard because APE application enhancer has to be removed. I there another way to do this that might work in SL? I'll miss this feature.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

minimize happened

Thats all it really was, a way to minimize windows since OS 9 didnt have a way to send windows "away" and then bring them back.

6. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Expose happened....and spaces

If using Expose, it would be difficult to select one of those "window-shaded" windows using expose-

I have this problem when I "window-shade" the stickies on my desktop- I usually just select these stickies them through the menu bar

8. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

9. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

I love sticky windows. I wonder if that will work with SL? I guess it will be a while before developers update. In any case WindowShadeX was nice becuie sometimes you don't really need to invoke Expose to just look behind for a sec.

10. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

I don't see why it wouldn't, as it works just fine in Leopard. It doesn't use APE like Window Shade does.

11. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Great reason to have it....my wife would benefit from it- she keeps a very messy desktop (literally and virtually) She often has 15 to 20 various windows open- it would be a nice option to window shade a window just to peek as xgman described. Mimiize makes you track all the way to the dock to return to the window and with Expose she has to look over 15-20 windows to find the one she wants...although if she was looking for one in an app she could only expose the app windows- but that wouldn't always be the case.

Lets start the petition now...BRING BACK WINDOW SHADE...hey, it worked for Matte screens!:D:rolleyes: Apple would charge extra for it though. ;)

12. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

None of the APE apps work with RTM Snow leopard. I've tried all of the updates and no go. Sticky Windows loads but when you click on "authorize" it just keeps popping back up and you get nowhere and the program will not run. I'm finding many of the Leopard utilities don't work on SL. Leopard Cache Cleaner is another that just won't work. I guess it will take some time.

13. mrattan macrumors newbie

It's in there...

It's there, just off by default. Go to: System Preferences → Appearance → “Double-click a window's title bar to minimize” well...actually this is just a minimize, but by default, the double click feature is turned off.

14. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Actually what the thread is about is not minimizing, but the roll up feature similar to what stickies have- when you double click on the stickies it rolls up, not minimize. It is not as big of deal with Expose, but would still be nice and as one noted is still there for stickies- why not finder?

15. Gregg2 macrumors 603