Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TiVo today is announcing an update to its iOS app that adds AirPlay support to allow users to stream content to the Apple TV. The feature builds on previous support for streaming content to an iOS device from a TiVo box, and the TiVo app now makes it easy to watch content recorded on a TiVo box on any TV in the house with an Apple TV connected.
TiVo Inc., a global leader in next-generation television services, has announced that for the first time TiVo users can access their content on TV via a third party consumer electronics device, giving entertainment junkies an amazing multiscreen experience. TiVo users can now stream their recorded shows to Apple TV via AirPlay. TiVo users have yet another way to watch their favorite shows, on another screen, wherever they are.
The feature works with TiVo's latest Roamio Pro and Roamio Plus boxes, which provide up to 3,000 hours of recording time and have built in Wi-Fi and MoCA support to enable easy streaming from the set-top box to other devices. Streaming from a basic Roamio or Premiere box requires a separate TiVo Stream auxiliary box to enable mobile streaming.

By turning on AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV from Control Center on the user's iOS device, content from the TiVo box can be streamed to the device and on to any Apple TV-equipped television on the local Wi-Fi network, replacing some of the functionality of the company's TiVo Mini box.

tivo_setup.jpg

We've had a few days to test out the new feature and have found it relatively easy to use. Following a one-time setup for streaming from the box to the iOS device, users simply need to turn on AirPlay to their desired Apple TV, navigate to My Shows in the TV app to find the show they wish to stream, and select the option to watch the show on their iPhone.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: TiVo Adds AirPlay Support to Allow Streaming to Apple TV Via iOS Devices

gregd33

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
I am not sure I understand the point of this... I am ASSuming that most people that have WiFi/Ethernet in their home already have the ability to display TiVo content on that same TV... is that a wrong assumption? I guess it must be since TiVo decided to spend dev time on it....

as the reddit kids say, ELI5, please... :)

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
This is awesome.

We have a Tivo in our family room that picks up 30+ channels on an over the air antenna.

We had bought a 2nd and 3rd Tivo for our other televisions. As well as Apple TVs. One Tivo looks like it's about to go, so it's really nice that it doesn't seem like we need to replace it. We can just use our Apple TVs 'as' Tivos. Awesome.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I am not sure I understand the point of this... I am ASSuming that most people that have WiFi/Ethernet in their home already have the ability to display TiVo content on that same TV...

You now only need ONE Tivo for an entire house. You might have 3 or 4 rooms with TVs for a family. Now you don't need to pay $200-$300 for each Tivo, and another $500 for a lifetime subscription for each one. A $69 Apple TV works instead.

Reactions: Rayd5365

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
Still Wayyyyy easier to have TiVo minis on the extra tvs. I guess it's an option if you can't afford a mini.

Reactions: phrehdd

frosty001

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Does anyone know if Virgin Media will adopt the same tech for their rebranded Tivo's they use? Hope so. Would be SO much easier.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Still Wayyyyy easier to have TiVo minis on the extra tvs. I guess it's an option if you can't afford a mini.

We bought our Tivos before minis were available (series 4?). One of ours hit the bucket last year, so we opted to upgrade it to a Tivo Roamio for like $50 because Tivo gave us a deal. Cheaper than fixing it by replacing the hard drive. We already have Apple TVs, so since we already have them, it's cheaper than buying new Tivo minis.

Plus our OTA Tivo Roamio won't support Tivo minis!!! Only the cable ones will.

Reactions: Deelron and Jason83

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I guess the point is to use a wifi connected AppleTV instead of a hardwired Tivo Mini.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm a long time Tivo user and the Romio - Mini combo is one of the best ways to stream TV throughout the house, IMHO. I use the cable to handle the streaming instead of WiFI as it allows for a much better experience with no stutters, etc. due to WiFi issues.

I have use date Tivo player on my iPad and found it a good alternative when I am not near a TV but want to watch something. If this now allows streaming even when the iOS device goes to sleep then it would be a viable option to a Mini as long a the bandwidth on the network is high enough to allow streaming without interruption. If it works on an older iPod it would be a great way to repurpose those as standalone media devices as well.

I also have a SiliconDust device and it is quite nice but streaming HD over wifi is a no-go. SD is OK but it is still problematic. Their new PVR software has promise especially since it will have an OS X version.

Hitch08

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
This is great news! I was just thinking about buying a TiVo mini. Instead, I'll hook up an AppleTV that I haven't been using.

gqp

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
TiVo just screwed its customers who are traveling away from home and who were successfully streaming content to their iOS devices. Out-of-home streaming has to be reconfigured, but this requires that the Roamio and iOS device be on the same LAN. (Configuration over a VPN doesn't work.) An update to the Roamios was apparently pushed out that breaks existing pairings even if the iOS app isn't updated the the latest and worst version.
Who travels during the summer anyway???
/s
Previously downloaded content also has to be re-downloaded due to a "security" concern. (Ooooooh!) But redownloading isn't possible if you deleted the program from the Roamio. Tivo just trashed your precious shows. Well, so long, Dave. Happy retirement.

Take Flight

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
We bought our Tivos before minis were available (series 4?). One of ours hit the bucket last year, so we opted to upgrade it to a Tivo Roamio for like $50 because Tivo gave us a deal. Cheaper than fixing it by replacing the hard drive. We already have Apple TVs, so since we already have them, it's cheaper than buying new Tivo minis.

Plus our OTA Tivo Roamio won't support Tivo minis!!! Only the cable ones will.
I think you may be wrong about that - the product page explicitly lists the OTA Roamio as being compatible.
Tivo Mini

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
Some minor good news and a lot of bad news:

Good: This isn’t just Mirroring. You don’t need to turn Mirroring on. You can set send it via AirPlay and the video will play via your Apple TV while the iPhone (or whatever) can continue to display the FF, Play/Pause, etc. buttons.

Bad: The PQ on the iPhone app was already poor (not HD) and that's still the case, and via AirPlay it's no better. In fact, blowing it up to a bigger screen will make it look even worse. Unless you have an old TV or poor eyesight, this is no substitution for the HD quality that you will get out of the TiVo Mini.

FWIW, I’ve recently been experimenting with an Android phone (Nexus 5) and the TiVo app for Android has PQ of a much higher quality (I’m guessing full HD resolution, but not sure). The video isn’t perfectly smooth, but it’s “good enough.” Of course, with the Android app, you can’t stream to the Apple TV (unless there’s a 3rd party app to allow that sort of thing).

Another option is to use Plex, copy your TV shows over to your Plex server (there's a channel that can do this on-demand) and then use the Plex app on the iPhone to watch your show and AirPlay it over to an Apple TV. Two benefits to this approach: You'll get HD quality, and you can do this when traveling. The only downside compared to the native TiVo iOS app is that you can't watch Live TV.

Elbon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
Boston, MA
This isn’t just Mirroring. You don’t need to turn Mirroring on. You can set send it via AirPlay and the video will play via your Apple TV while the iPhone (or whatever) can continue to display the FF, Play/Pause, etc. buttons.

Thanks for confirming that. I wasn't going to bother with it if it was mirroring-only.

joeliam

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014

TiVo today is announcing an update to its iOS app that adds AirPlay support to allow users to stream content to the Apple TV. The feature builds on previous support for streaming content to an iOS device from a TiVo box, and the TiVo app now makes it easy to watch content recorded on a TiVo box on any TV in the house with an Apple TV connected.The feature works with TiVo's latest Roamio Pro and Roamio Plus boxes, which provide up to 3,000 hours of recording time and have built in Wi-Fi and MoCA support to enable easy streaming from the set-top box to other devices. Streaming from a basic Roamio or Premiere box requires a separate TiVo Stream auxiliary box to enable mobile streaming.

By turning on AirPlay Mirroring to an Apple TV from Control Center on the user's iOS device, content from the TiVo box can be streamed to the device and on to any Apple TV-equipped television on the local Wi-Fi network, replacing some of the functionality of the company's TiVo Mini box.

tivo_setup.jpg

We've had a few days to test out the new feature and have found it relatively easy to use. Following a one-time setup for streaming from the box to the iOS device, users simply need to turn on AirPlay to their desired Apple TV, navigate to My Shows in the TV app to find the show they wish to stream, and select the option to watch the show on their iPhone.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: TiVo Adds AirPlay Support to Allow Streaming to Apple TV Via iOS Devices

joeliam

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
TiVo's desperate approach to stay relevant...I had their service for years, and kept asking for this to be enabled, but they kept saying no....now that I've cut the cord completely, I barely have the need for the one box I have remaninig, since everything is streamed now, when I want it, where I want it, TV, iOS, laptop, whatever....TiVo's days are numbered!

Scott Hughes

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2015
"Update: TiVo now tells us the AirPlay streaming functionality should work out of the home, although we were unable to get it to work during our testing."

Has anyone been able to get this working outside of the home?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.