Tivo and the iPad 3g

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bvphaze3, May 4, 2010.

1. Bvphaze3 macrumors newbie

My 3g is coming Friday. I was wondering if there is Tivo remote app for the iPad? Also, is there a way to view DVR shows from Tivo on the iPad?

Any comments would be great!

By the way, I am using a series 3 Tivo.

2. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You can transfer your Tivo shows to your mac with Toast 9 and above, I think. You can then stream to your iPad.

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

It depends on if you have digital cable and if your cableco sets a certain flag on your programming. For example: where I am, time Warner locks down almost everything and it's not possible to get your content off the TiVo without serious hacking. TiVo desktop/multi-room viewing (and the many osx apps) are not usable.

Basically the big cable providers have done everything they can to shut out tivo. But that's a conversation for another site.

5. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I use iTivo. Works perfectly. It downloads the shows from tivo and then you can set to convert it for iphone, etc.

6. Bvphaze3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Comcast, so yeah, digital cable. You would think this would be fairly easy.

7. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

8. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

9. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

It's only going to affect people with digital cable AND a newer-generation TiVo (series 3) with cablecards AND one of the really asshat cable companies (like Time Warner/BrightHouse). I can't remember where Comcast falls. Sadly I hit the trifecta and almost nothing can be copied off my TiVo.

(And if some of you are thinking right now, "oh, there's probably some way to do it, she just hasn't tried that hard," you're incorrect. The last time I dug into it, which has only been a few months, there was absolutely no way to do it from a software standpoint. Think 'soldering iron only'. And yes, I did try iTivo.)

If this doesn't describe you in any way, rejoice. :) If you load iTivo and it chokes on most of your content when you try to view it, google 'tivo cci byte'.

Edit: But if you're lucky enough that you CAN get it working, it would go nicely with Air Video app for iPad.

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I've been using iTivo to download the shows to my computer and just found Air Video which streams them. Pretty cool.

11. wgary macrumors member

i.tv -- +1 for remote control of Tivo from your iPad (DVR Remote also does this)
    iTivo -- +1 for converting shows to download, requires Mac. Also allows ad deletion.
    SlingPlayer -- +1 for watching Tivo on your iPad, requires additional hardware

Note: i.TV also allows scheduling recordings or you can go onto SlingBox and do this.

Each serves a different and useful purpose in integrating Tivo with iPad... I like and use all of these.

12. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Slingbox simply rocks. Especially for travel away from home. And they're currently working on a dedicated iPad app. :)

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I wish TiVo would release a simple app that would allow me to schedule a tv show to record from out at the bar. No web interface, just a simple app that allows me to type the name of a show, select it in the results and hit record.

I know you can do it on the website, but its too heavy generally. I want something dead light weight.

I can't believe they haven't done it yet. I was just complaining about this on twitter a day or 2 ago.

14. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

You know, you're right. The non-existence of this is really weird.

But TiVo as a company really took a beating from the cablecos over the years in a lot of ways. Who knows what they're even thinking at this point--I hear the new flash-based 'premiere' model is pretty terrible.

I've had tivos since series one, the (old non-flash) interface is top-notch, albeit riddled with ads now. I think at this point I'm just keeping it around out of nostalgia, and because it was such a pain the ass to get my TiVo HD working (tuning adapter, cablecards, etc). I think the day is coming soon when I will finally just ditch it and use some other solution.

15. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

+1 on iTivo and Slingbox. I use and like both with the iPad.

However, these solutions (transcoding or sling streaming) both seem like work arounds. In an ideal world, I could stream from Tivo directly to iPad iPhone.

16. Caraj macrumors member

Hi, is it the dedicated iPad version that you see using.?

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

If you are referring to a dedicated Slingbox app, it's not out yet.

To the OP, I was thinking about the Happauge PVR, however there are mixed reviews on it performance and build quality. From what I gather, it can record HD TV shows, but it does it through component not HDMI

The following is the video formats:
    • .TS, which is a generic 'transport stream' compatible with many digital media players
    • .M2TS, which is compatible with the Sony Playstation3
    • .MP4, which is compatible with the XBox360
    Here is the link if your interested. Check Amazon for reviews.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

18. cdinca macrumors 6502

I'm sure you probably know, but just in case, m.TiVo.com couldn't be much lighter. Since it doesn't redirect you there automatically, I had no idea it existed for the longest time.

19. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I wrote a perl script that will gather information from various TiVo(s) in the household and then store the information into a sqlite database. From this point you can configure which Show to automatically down from specific TiVo(s) and it can even transcode/encode them for any format you wish and place them into the iTunes folder. I have it running at home on my Mac Mini and when I wake up in the morning all the shows I want from the previous night are in my iTunes ready to be put onto my iPad.

20. huskerchad macrumors regular

21. nycdesigner macrumors member

nycdesigner

Man, thank you! I never knew it existed either, and I've been a long-time TiVoer. I use i.TV mostly, but it has recently been buggy by not sending proper HD show requests, instead setting up the SD recording.

22. gear71428 macrumors member

I go to the health club after work, stick the ipad on the machine fire up slingbox and watch whatever is in (or on) my Tivo. I love it.

23. dianepastan macrumors newbie

Tivo and the iPad 3G

However, when I click the link, it is a video converter for Windows.
    This is a mac forum, you may recommend a mac video converter program.
    Well, maybe you can try pavtube's mac tivo converter program: Pavtube iMedia Converter for Mac.
    Above information is refered in its official web: http://www.pavtube.com/imedia-converter-mac/

24. brinatech.com macrumors member

I use windows media center that is built into vista to record my shows. Then i use free tool called dvrmstoolbox which will automatically convert for iPad,iPhone and starts the conversion as soon as the recording is done. The nice thing about media center is that there is no monthly fee. The downside is that i can only record free channels from cable. However in a couple of months, ceton will come out with a 4 stream cable card tuner that will allow you to record 4 shows as once. Dvrmstoolbox takes some time to setup, but the nice thing is that it removes commercials so it uses less space on your ipad or iPhone. I have tried streaming video but never liked the quality.

25. bobm macrumors member

Mobile Tivo

The mobile tivo app is pretty lightweight (http://m.tivo.com/) I use it from my iphone all the time and it works just fine.