Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Is there a way to get TIVO files converted to Apple TV formatted files. I know you can use Tivodecoder on a Mac and then use Visual Hub but on a PC the files are in .Tivo format. Tivo desktop does convert to Mpeg4 but it seems to be for ipods as I get black bars on all four sides when I try to watch their converted files.

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I'm confused. Are you looking for a Windows solution to bring your Tivo files to the :apple:TV?
Yes. I can get them from the Tivo to .tivo file types but don't have a good way to get them to MPEG4 in high quality. Visual Hub is great for a Mac but it doesn't do .tivo files.

macfaninpdx

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Well, I am still confused. You said Yes to the question about wanting a Windows solution, yet you keep takling about Visualhub, which is a Mac program.

So here is a method on the mac: TiVoDecode Manager. You should be able to retrieve shows from your TiVo and convert them to MPEG4 at the same time. It will even put them into the iTunes TV Shows library for you.

There is also Popcorn and Toast from Roxio, which will allow you to use the TiVotoGo features, and get the shows into either iTunes or something similar.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
He Wants Windows Version To VisualHub. But He Is Not Describing Very Well.

Sorry I can't Help With The .Tivo Files Google Might Help

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Official TiVo Desktop software ($20) can convert to a variety of devices. Also if you just have it convert to any non DRM'd filetype you can use FFMPEG to convert to MP4, then use iTunes to convert to :apple:TV file type and size. I have found that iTunes will convert MPEG2 files to :apple:TV and iPod/iPhone files.

TEG

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I have a Mac and a PC. I love Visuahub and Tivo Decoder but some files keep crashing half way through on the Mac (Tivo Decoder) to I can't use Visual Hub if the file isn't complete.

On the PC side, Tivo Desktop seems to get the complete file more often. The issue I have is when I have Tivo Desktop convert to H.264 I got bars all around the edges. In other words, there doesn't seem to be an optimal conversion choice for a high quality file to be played on ATV. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The TIVO desktop converts to iPod .h264 which is a lower resolution and bit rate than the :apple:TV. If you have a Mac, you are better of just getting Toast, as it will convert you directly to :apple:TV compatible files, but you still resolution limited due to copyright restrictions. The easiest way I've found to get files off a TIVO is to either use the TiVo download software included with Toast or to login to the TiVo's builtin webserver. It should appear in Safari under Bonjour, then once you connect, change the http to https, use tivo as the username and the TiVo's MAK as the password. The only problem is that you can only download one file at a time, which is also a limitation of the Toast Software, but it does allow you to Queue shows for download.

TEG

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I believe Toast 9 supports that now, plus I think the newest update enables the webserver. It also depends if you mean the TiVo Series 3 (With THX) or the TiVo HD, they have slightly different rules. Checkout TiVo.com/tivotogo for all the information regarding that.

TEG

uva25

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
The TIVO desktop converts to iPod .h264 which is a lower resolution and bit rate than the :apple:TV. If you have a Mac, you are better of just getting Toast, as it will convert you directly to :apple:TV compatible files, but you still resolution limited due to copyright restrictions. The easiest way I've found to get files off a TIVO is to either use the TiVo download software included with Toast or to login to the TiVo's builtin webserver. It should appear in Safari under Bonjour, then once you connect, change the http to https, use tivo as the username and the TiVo's MAK as the password. The only problem is that you can only download one file at a time, which is also a limitation of the Toast Software, but it does allow you to Queue shows for download.

TEG
I used the webserver and it seemed to work. I now have a .tivo file which ATV won't play. Are you saying Toast will convert this to Mp4 format in high quality as it seems Visual Hub won't. Thanks.

macfaninpdx

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2007
Check the product specs for Roxio products, specifically Popcorn. According to their website:
Broad Device Support
Convert your TiVoToGo™ and EyeTV recordings, DVD-Video, and many other video formats for use with your iPhone, Apple TV, iPod, Xbox 360™, PlayStation® 3, PSP™, BlackBerry® device, Palm® Treo™, and more.

Also, here is a forum topic on VisualHub about converting a TiVo file to a format readable by others. According to this, TiveDecoder works fine on Leopard.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I used the webserver and it seemed to work. I now have a .tivo file which ATV won't play. Are you saying Toast will convert this to Mp4 format in high quality as it seems Visual Hub won't. Thanks.

Yes. The .tivo file is encrypted. You must strip the DRM from it either using Toast or Popcorn or one of the many free utilities out there. If you use the free utility, it will only be an MPEG2 file, which you must again convert to MP4/H.264 to get it to work on the :apple:TV, either using VisualHub, ffmpeg, or iTunes.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.