Tivo in a mac?

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys!

I have a few simple questions...

How is Tivo able to record digital cable? Does it somehow communicate with the digital cable box?

I see that they have some devices out for watching tv on a Mac... Can you hook any of these devices up to a digital cable box and still have them work right?

Basicly, I want to watch and record tv on my apple and I have digital cable...

I know you could hook up the cable box to a regular tv cable device... but then you would not be able to record shows in the future... You would have to change the station on the cablebox... (You know what I am saying?)

I don't want to have to use the cablebox to change the stations... Is there anyway to do this?

XNine

macrumors 68040
wakerider017 said:
Hey guys!

I have a few simple questions...

How is Tivo able to record digital cable? Does it somehow communicate with the digital cable box?

I see that they have some devices out for watching tv on a Mac... Can you hook any of these devices up to a digital cable box and still have them work right?

Basicly, I want to watch and record tv on my apple and I have digital cable...

I know you could hook up the cable box to a regular tv cable device... but then you would not be able to record shows in the future... You would have to change the station on the cablebox... (You know what I am saying?)

I don't want to have to use the cablebox to change the stations... Is there anyway to do this?
There are several ways to get this done, but none of them worth the money you spend, IMO. Elgato has a lot of solutions for this (www.elgato.com) and yes, you can turn the stations directly on the mac.

I'm still waiting for a device that records to the Mac, but streams to the TV with Tivo like functions. Why in the hell no one has made this, I don't know. My project next year will be building a MythBox for such a thing.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I have mine set up like emw:

Incoming cable line goes to the box. Run a line from cable box to TiVo. Run a cable from TiVo to TV.

My new cable box (made by Motorola) uses a serial cable to communicate between the box and the TiVo - much more stable than the flaky IR cables I used to have to use with my old cable box.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Onizuka said:
There are several ways to get this done, but none of them worth the money you spend, IMO. Elgato has a lot of solutions for this (www.elgato.com) and yes, you can turn the stations directly on the mac.

I'm still waiting for a device that records to the Mac, but streams to the TV with Tivo like functions. Why in the hell no one has made this, I don't know. My project next year will be building a MythBox for such a thing.

does anyone make a HDTV one?

Maybe when the iTV comes out they will have a cable input!