Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
I took apart my sata Tivo hard drive(WD 1tb) and plugged it into my Thermtake Black Widow external hard drive component. In disk utilities it is recognized, it does fire up. I want to access whats on the drive, not format. I read something about how it powers up, there are no pins covered . I can hear it running. I have a similar WD USB hard drive in same component and it shows up on my desk top and disk utilities Any thoughts? P.S. There were some external plugs I removed from drive, but they look like what turns a USB into sata drive.

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
From what I have read, Tivo uses the ext2fs file system, which is not readable by OSX. IIRC an open source driver for ext2fs is available on source forge.

Again IIRC I've seen reports that it is possible to simply plug in a TiVo drive, and mount it using the ext2fs driver ... I have not tried it myself, but would at least advise to mount the disk as read-only to start with so you don't mess anything up.

Sounds like an interesting project. How do you plan to pull the data once you get it mounted?

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
You Won't be able to remove shows. You need to transfer them via the TiVo type software. You cSn save the file system via some windows based utilities for cloning and expanding purposes. TiVo splits the drive into many partitions for buffering, os, downloads, shows. Like 12-16 partitions.

tkowalski

macrumors member
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Thanks for response. I have seen just the cable converters. Plug in sata cord. If I put back the drive in enclosure, will I not be able to access whats on the drive regardless if that would work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.