Tivo to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cagle, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Cagle macrumors regular

Want to get a HD show off my Tivo series 3 and bung it onto DVD. What is the best way of going about this?

Roxio – TIVO to go?
    HD Capture device, then use iMovie/iDVD to export to DVD?
    Third party software to extract the file off Tivo, then burn to DVD
    Torrent the show and then burn!

Is it worth using something more advanced than iMovie when editing out commercials and exporting to DVD? Will I get better results using Final Cut Pro or QuickTime?

Thanks!

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

OK I can tell you how I do this...

1) I download the videos using TivoDecode Manager and export to Mpeg files.
    2) This is not a usable form of an mpeg file, however ( it's called a Program stream, I'm told ). To get it into a usable form, you next need to load that file into MPEGStreamClip. It will load the video, but it won't show it on the screen.
    3) In MPEGStreamclip, click on file->convert to TS -> TS with MP2 audio. Save the file as a .ts file ( or whatever you want ).
    4) Then after the conversion is done, load the file you just converted ( the .ts file ) with MPEGStreamclip.
    5) the video will appear on the screen. Edit the video with the "in" "out" point and "trim" and ethods to edit out the commericals.
    6) Save this file once you're done editing. You will not lose any quality via this method because MPEG streamclip edits on the GOP boundary ( orwhatever its called in MPEG jargon ) you may lose a frame or 2 in the process, but that's better than having to recompress.
    7) Now the next part is up to you... Toast can create DVD's directly from MPEGS so you don't have to reencode. This is awesome if it works. There is a caveat though.... You will have the native Tivo resolution of the MPEG file... depending on what quality setting you did for the recording.and some DVD players will be very unhappy with this and freak out. My old Toshiba would play 640x480, and 480x480 (whic is the tivo "medium" from series 1 ) just fine, even with the proper aspect ratio, but like I said this is highly dependent on your DVD player.

Alternatively, you could export the MPEG file as NTSC ( or PAL whatever is appropriate for your region ) interlaced DV file, and then import athat into Final Cut Express or iMovie HD etc... and then use iDVD. This method will take far long to encode but it will guarantee you will end up with a playable DVD.

I actually stopped burning stuff to DVD altogether... now I just download the files, edit out the commercials and store them as the MPEG files up to step 6) and keep them on my Mac's Harddrive and share them back to the Tivo either using Galleon or the Mac Tivo Desktop with the hidden "share video" preferences hack. ( TivoGoBack )

Make sense? I may have left something out, I'm doing this from memory.