Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2013orlater

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Hi,
All this is about 10.9.5, and Time Machine backups on LAN.
Recently some items were removed from TM backup, the star-wars display, not the TM exclusion rules.
These were some apps of big size which are updated frequently and generate huge amount of backup data:
Safari, Numbers, Pages, Keynote, some 3rd party apps as well.
It means as for needs of this Mac it is sufficient enough to have just one backup of every such app corresponding to current status. Therefore subsequently to the removal described above a TM backup process was started.
Based on the number of removed backup items and these names the estimated
size of next backup is somewhere between 1 and 2GB. The problem is that the backup following the backup items removal operation include 30 to 50MB of data (several attempts were made). It means the TM
does not include the apps in the backup which were removed.
For all affected apps there is no exclusion rule!
What is the possible reason of this behaviour? How to fix?

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
This happens to me also sometimes. I have discovered, through trial & error, that if i completely disconnect the TM backup disk and then restart the mac & then re-connect the backup drive - it catches up. This is not always the case however.

On occasions i have had to do a hard reset of TM. http://pondini.org/TM/A4.html

Mac2013orlater

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
This is not always the case however.
I can confirm that. Multiple trials to workaround by disconnecting then connecting failed.
The same with other destination (used in rotating backups), this time it is an external usb drive.
Disconnect (unmount, eject & Co) and connect again does not help in both cases.

Mac2013orlater

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
Usually the TM examines just the Event Store Mac File System's to see which items
changed or were added and needed thereby a backup. So removal of items in TM backup won't generate
any events in Event Store. This seems to be the root reason of observed behaviour.
However, basically under some circumstances TM conducts deep scan (more than Event Store check).
To manually trigger some deep scan could be the way to get the apps backed up again after the clean-up procedure described in this thread. How to do such?
Otherwise one has to wait until the system triggers deep scan, this can take a long time?

System does it by replacing the Event Store and assigning new UUID to it. TM detects this and
starts deep scan. How to switch to new from-the-scratch Event Store and give it new UUID manually
in proper and working way?

Mac2013orlater

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
I like to workaround by manually triggering the deep scan like the system does it under circumstances,
however unclear how to fire the triggers manually. Any idea?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.