TM backups

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ccnp11, Jun 10, 2012.

1. ccnp11 macrumors newbie

I have about 420Gb on my MBP HDD. I have run backups using both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner. The backups are both less than half the size of my HDD data. I did not select any sort or encryption or compression.

I ran a permissions repair on the drive (it only found 2 small issues anyway) and have gone through the backups and the source drive and done a stare and compare as best as I could without finding any major discrepancy.

Any ideas what could be going on?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Are you using parallels or Fusion virtualization? Are you running bootcamp? I am pretty sure all of them would be excluded.

/Jim

3. ccnp11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running fusion but only 2vms with very minimal images. And they are checked and appear to be backed up by CCC and TM

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Then something is really wrong. Generally, I believe that it is very bad to backup your VMs. My belief (but I could be wrong) is that every time you run the VM... then the entire environment is backed up all over again. I have always heard to exclude VMs from backup.

/Jim

5. ccnp11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I keep one W1nBl0wZ image to run my vSphere client and a Xubuntu image to run a few 'nix programmes when I have the need.

Well, either way, the VMs account for a total of appx 7Gb of space....far, far less than the +200Gb discrepancy I see between my MacHD and the sparsebundle size. Even with some serious compression, I'd be amazed at that amount of shrinkage.

I'm actually starting to wonder if OS X is reporting the size of my HDD data correctly...

6. ccnp11 thread starter macrumors newbie

SOLVED...not a TM issue

And that was exactly it. I had a couple old references to AFP shares in /Volumes that were still reading as live including recursive directory/file structure. I knew I didn't have that much data....

#rm -rf name

removed a lot of the phantom files (the mount point has survived a reboot) I'm still having weird issues with some of the files being in use but I'm hunting them down and trying to kill the processes....