TM can't restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gngan, May 25, 2013.

1. gngan, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013

gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

My TM backups my MBP(ML) and my family's MB(Lion)

My MBP has dual hdd(SSD + HDD). I think my ssd died so I'm trying to do the Internet recovery with another HDD. When I'm in Internet recovery, there's an option for restore from back up but for some reason there's no back up for my MBP though I'm a hundred percent sure it backs up. When I check and see if there a backup from my family's MB and its there. In fact, I can see my own backup from another Mac.

How is that possible?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

When in the recovery screen launch Disk Utility and try to mount the MBP TM backup from there... then try restore again.

3. ncrypt macrumors regular

Alternatively, perform a fresh install onto the drive that you wanted, then use migration assistant when you have the option during setup.

4. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

How do you mount HDD when you are in Disk Utility? My HDD (TM) is mount to Airport Extreme.

Tried that but Migration assistant doesn't see my backup.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You did not mention this earlier, so I assumed you were using a local, USB external disk.

TM backup to an Airport Extreme USB port is not supported by Apple, so this may be the root of your problem.

6. gngan thread starter macrumors 68000

gngan

That maybe it.

It's just weird that I am able to see and restore to my MBP from my family's MB backup. I am also able to see MY backup when I mount my HDD (wirelessly).