tm demands more space than neccessary

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xemino, Oct 21, 2009.

1. xemino Guest

hey there,

i backed up my hd via tm, now the backup fails, because tm says there's only 157gb free but it needs 350gb.
    the weird thing is, after i did the initial backup i didn't add 157 gb, so there should be enough free space and tm is supposed to delete backups if there's not enough space anymore.

i had this once some time back, i resized my tm hd and it backed up my whole hd, even though i had already backups.

is the incremental backup technology faulty, or what?

cheers

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are you running VMware or Parallels? Changing a single byte in the VM image will cause the entire multi-GB file to be backed up again.

3. xemino thread starter Guest

i have a bootcamp partition, which is excluded form tm, obviously. i have fusion installed, though, but i only use the bc part.

the tm dialog says, that tm needs space besides the storage one to work, i missed that, but still, shouldn't 150gb be enough, if i didn't do massive changes, it appears not.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't see any obvious reason why it would be backing that much up. My incremental backups are usually less than 10 MB if I haven't done anything major.

5. xemino thread starter Guest

yeah, that's how it used to be.
    right now, the bootcamp partition isn't and can't be excluded. freakin unbelievable.