TM Restoring to new HD, transfer stopped?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by TXBDan, Jun 28, 2014.

1. TXBDan macrumors regular

Hi all,

Today i installed a new HD in my early 2011 MBP. I have a networked Time Machine backup which I am using to restore the machine.

It all went smoothly and the restoration progress was at 5% with an estimated completion time of about 3hrs 40min.

about 30min later I went in to check on it and noticed that the progress has changed to "Finishing restore". It's been like this for the past 30min or so. I don't think its feasible that it completed the restore in 30min and now its been stuck like this for awhile.

Think this has messed up somehow? I suppose I'll give it the 3-4 hours and see if it finishes...

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would wait it out some more. In my experience that "time left" indicator is all over the place.

3. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

It's 1.5 hours now same thing. I can see some network activity lights on the router.

But i'm growing skeptical. Maybe i should just abort and do a clean install and restore file by file. Only problem is that its my fiancee' business computer and i told her it'd be exactly like before after the HD upgrade. :eek:

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

What is the amount of data to restore ?

Expect ~1mn per GB.

5. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

About 250gig. So i guess 4+ hours. about 2 hours down so far.

If i saw a % complete i'd feel a lot better. The fact that it says "Finishing restore" and just shows the moving lines across the status bar makes me worried.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ackk...

When you say "networked TM backup"... how is this setup? What hardware?

Edit: Saw your post. 250GB is a lot. I would hang in there a bit more.

7. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using a WD Mycloud networked driver over ethernet.

I looked at the Installer Log file and see a ton of network errors. It looks like they occur about once every 30min for a few minutes. I'm not sure if they're just infrequent errors or if maybe the system tries every 30min and gives up and goes back to sleep for another 30min.

8. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

So i gave up on the TM restore, rebooted into internet recovery, Erased the HD clean again, and began a clean Lion install over the internet. It downloaded OK, but upon reboot the computer is just hanging at a white screen with spinning wheel.

:mad:

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

(won't help, I know, sorry.... next time, clone your old drive to the new one using Carbon Copy Cloner, y basta)

10. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

If i put the old HD in an external enclosure, can i clone it to the new drive installed in the MBP? That could be the ticket.

ERR, i'd need a Mac to setup CCC. I guess i could put the original HD back in the MBP and start over.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm wondering if you have a bad drive cable? That would cause these bad drive like symptoms and may have been what was wrong before you replaced the HDD.

The symptoms are pretty much the same as a bad drive.

This would also explain why the TM restore hung up.

The cable failures are less common than a bad drive, but they do happen.

Do still have the old drive? You could put it in a cheap USB enclosure and see if you can option key boot to it. If it works in the enclosure and not internally, that would point to a bad drive cable.

----------

You don't need CCC. If you can boot to the old drive and it works, like I mentioned, I think you have a bad internal drive cable.

It is worth a try cloning the old to the new I suppose. Just option key boot to the old drive then use Disk Util to clone following this video.

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

You could also boot to the old drive, install CCC, then clone.

The "plus" of CCC over Disk utility is that it will clone the Recovery partition as well.

Otherwise, using Disk utility is fine.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

DU will copy over the recovery partition.

14. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Good news I believed it wouldn't : I am happy I am wrong.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Have not heard back from the OP. I hope he not burning his Macbook in the backyard. :eek:

Is it just me, or are there all of a sudden more of these drive cable failures lately? It seems these machines hit the 2-3 year mark and the cables are dying. I don't recall that being as common on older Macs.

16. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I have the same feeling (seen many of these failures on another forum I am a member of).

Fingers crossed :eek: My Early 2011 MBP runs fine, but DriveDX tells me I have more and more CRC errors :(

(13" early 2011 MBP, RAM 16 GB, SSD 480 GB)

17. TXBDan thread starter macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. I put the original drive back in the MBP, clones it to the new SSD in the external enclosure. It took about 3.5 hours (260gigs) but the software remained responsive and showed a meaningful progress bar which is all i really ask.

Test booted off the external, worked fine. Swapped, and i was in business.

The computer is now very snappy and responsive, back to life. It also seems stables and no hiccups so far. So i don't think there are any hardware issues.

I also enabled TRIM fwiw.

Thanks!