TM usb to TM wifi

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by huffy15, Mar 24, 2010.

1. huffy15 macrumors regular

I would like to know how could it be possible to recover my usb time machine when I plug that drive to the usb port of my airport base station. I can right click on tm dock icon and recover old files by this way. I would like to continue my backup tm as I do with direct usb plugged in the computer but this time through the AE external usb port.

My MBP told me that there's not enough space with 17go but I don't wanna restore a new tm part you know, just continue what it backed-up with direct usb.

Thanks if you know what I meant

Julien

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

As far as I know, you can't. Time Machine backs up differently to an AEBS attached USB drive than to one connected directly. It creates a sparsebundle image on any network drives (whereas it copies them directly to a connected drive), so any backups will have to be recreated.

3. huffy15 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I saw the sparsebundle and I never though it was about it. In this case I though, I'm gonna back the old TMBU up on another drives. But the best I my case will be to do backup online through an alternative of iDisk and do the backup on school with the overpowered speed connexion. I found iDrive, but there's no afp here, only http.

Anyway, thanks for your help I didn't even know the other way to do backup by TimeMachine

Julien