tMBP Keeps freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snowboardpunk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. snowboardpunk macrumors regular

has anyone had any problems with their tMBP? My 15 in keeps freezing. I'm just using safari and the whole thing just freezes up. I can move the mouse but I can't click anything nor do any commands work. Has anyone experienced this? I've tried reinstalling Mac OS and still does the same.

2. dtrain035 macrumors newbie

I had a problem like this after 4 days with my 2.7ghz w/ 460. I was using spotify and lightroom and the system completely locked up. I did a hard shut down and rebooted. Started up Lightroom and it locked up again. This time when I did a hard reboot, it would come right back up to where it froze upon me putting in my password. I called Apple Support and we tried to reset everything (power, macos, nvram) but nothing worked. After about 3 different calls/techs, it was determined the hard drive was corrupted so bad it couldn't be recovered. They sent me a label to ship mine back and they built me a new one. Took 2 weeks to get the replacement after waiting almost 7 to get my initial one.

You might want to give them a call.

3. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

I have had some freezing when the GPU switches from Intel to AMD and back.

4. GatorGhost macrumors regular

GatorGhost

Just a wild guess....but in an earlier thread some users found when they went to accessibility properties and increased the size of the mouse cursor...the result was temporary mouse and screen locks. Not sure for your issues, but if you have changed your mouse cursor size...maybe reduce it to default and see if makes a difference. As I said...just a wild guess.

5. snowboardpunk thread starter macrumors regular

would making a call or visiting an Apple Store be more productive? Would the people at the Genius Bar just be able to exchange it right there?

I don't think its the GPU switching because all I was using was safari.

I never changed the size of the mouse cursor. I did make my screen the highest resolution though. It's still scaled just under "More space".

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It could well be GPU switching many websites have flash video running that kicks the GPU on, just using safari is not a thing you can say, many websites are a nightmare and very badly coded making things worse.

Try doing a disk repair in disk utility if that doesn't work then call Apple.

7. dtrain035 macrumors newbie

If it is within the return period, I would just go to the store and exchange it on the spot (assuming its not a custom build like mine). Mine was purchased through the Employee Discount program via my brother who works there so it worked a little different.

I didnt go to the store/genius bar because the store was packed and my brother said it was going to be hours to get an appt since it was right after Xmas and every Tom Dick and Harry who got an iPad for a gift was at the genius bar trying to figure out how to use it. I used the Apple Support App on my iPhone and had someone on the line within 5 minutes.

8. Gaprofitt macrumors 6502

Mine did this, I returned it and bought the much more powerful new Dell XPS 9560 model. Hint Hint..

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Just put your Dell sales pitch (preferably only the true parts) in your sig and save a lot of typing.