Tmobile Iphone 5 Wifi Calling

daghstdrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Manhattan, NY
I tried to set up wifi calling for my Iphone 5 w/ tmobile and cannot. Apparently 5C 5S 6 and 6+ can only do it . Strange because the 5 and 5C have the same hardware.

Anyone else have this issue? Any work arounds?

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008
I tried to set up wifi calling for my Iphone 5 w/ tmobile and cannot. Apparently 5C 5S 6 and 6+ can only do it . Strange because the 5 and 5C have the same hardware.

Anyone else have this issue? Any work arounds?
T-mobile likely leaned on Apple to exclude this feature from iPhone 5, there's no other conceivable reason really. Cynical move? Absolutely.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
The 5 and 5c use different cellular transceiver chips with more supported LTE bands for the 5c. But, wi-fi calling does not have extensive hardware requirements. From what I understand, this is T-Mobile's call as to which iPhone models allow for wi-fi calling.

Unless there's something specific to the transceiver compatibility, I would guess that T-Mobile is only adding this to their "current" models, as they now tout 100% of the phones they currently carry for wi-fi calling. I don't know of any workarounds to get wi-fi calling for the iPhone 5.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
T-mobile likely leaned on Apple to exclude this feature from iPhone 5, there's no other conceivable reason really. Cynical move? Absolutely.
What the hell would be T-Mobile's motivation to exclude a model from this?

We're talking:

A) Improved customer experience.
B) Reduction in cellular bandwidth usage.

Pretty much a win win for T-Mobile, the user, and Apple, all three.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
We'll probably find out more when AT&T activates wi-fi calling next year. If they add the feature to the iPhone 5, then we'll know for sure that it's not a hardware issue. And I would guess T-Mobile follows suit, and adds wi-fi calling to the iPhone 5.

OTOH, how much does AT&T gain by adding wi-fi calling to a discontinued model whose users are now rolling through the two-year upgrade/replacement window?

bsforever

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2008

We're talking:

To get iPhone 5 owners to upgrade to newer models - they appear more interested in that than A and B above. For what it's worth wifi calling on iPhone 5 worked all through the iOS8 betas.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
To get iPhone 5 owners to upgrade to newer models - they appear more interested in that than A and B above. For what it's worth wifi calling on iPhone 5 worked all through the iOS8 betas.
Does T-Mobile even make much money from that? The cost if you use their financing thing is actually LESS than the non-contract price of the phone.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007

We're talking:

T-Mobile only sold the iPhone 5 for about six months (and they had by far the lowest iPhone adoption rate among the four major US carriers), and most of the iPhone 5 units sold in the US did not support T-Mobile's primary LTE band. I can understand T-Mobile wanting to cut bait with the iPhone 5, because they sold a comparatively small number of iPhone 5's to begin with and most customers bringing used iPhone 5 units over to T-Mobile cannot access T-Mobile's LTE network in most places.

And of course, there's the angle that they simply want to sell customers a new/"current" phone.

Like I said, we might find out more when AT&T adds wi-fi calling next year. If AT&T supports the iPhone 5, then we'll know for sure that there's no technical limitation that limits wi-fi calling on the 5. If they don't, then it might be a technical issue on their end, or they just want customers to buy a new phone. And retroactive support for older phones has never seemed like much of a priority to the carriers.

Last edited:

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Forgot about wi-fi calling working on the beta versions! Now it will be interesting to see what AT&T does.

I also think T-Mobile would rather not encourage people to bring iPhone 5's over from other carriers whose models did not support T-Mobile's primary LTE band. While the wi-fi calling improves the customer experience in one way, having no access to LTE in most areas would seem to negate that to some extent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.