Tmobile iphone bought from apple question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jaypatel3192, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Jaypatel3192, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

Jaypatel3192 macrumors member

Hi so I am currently studying abroad and my mom was going to send me an iphone 6 tmobile off contract that she bought at an apple store. She wasn't convinced that it was an unlocked version for lord knows what reason so she wanted to test it before she sent it just incase because over here there are no apple stores to return it to and whatnot. Any who she tried using an activated Verizon sim in the phone but she kept getting no service. The phone was activated and was working otherwise fine with wifi but just no cell service showing up. Is this supposed to happen because it's Verizon or should she take the phone back and get another? Any tips would be helpful as the person coming here leaves in a few days and no one else is coming for quite some time. Thanks

2. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

Doesn't the phone come with a sim? She should call Verizon from that phone to activate the new sim, I don't think she should be using an activated sim. My guess.

3. Jaypatel3192 thread starter macrumors member

The phone comes with a inactivated tmobile SIM card. So testing it using that would not work. She doesn't want to use the phone on her, she just wants to test the phone to make sure it's truely unlocked before she sends it to me here. I read around the apple forums that an activated verizon sim should show service right away but also some people were having trouble getting service with verizon on the off contract tmobile iphone 6. So was looking to see if anyone here had any tips or ideas. She's trying to find someone with an att SIM card to test it out with but to no luck so far

4. cjake macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 6 Plus purchased from Apple.

To verify that it was unlocked, I swapped out my T-Mobile pre-paid SIM and replaced it with the data-only SIM from my Verizon iPad.

It took a few moments, but the iPhone eventually connected to Verizon LTE.

5. Jaypatel3192 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. I'll have her test it again. If it doesn't work, what should I do?

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

What service will you be using it with overseas?

Send her a SIM from that service and see if it works. T-Mobile phones bought from Apple are indeed unlocked. I dunno why she's having trouble with that Verizon SIM, but she could always ask someone else with a SIM from Verizon or AT&T to see if she can test it with theirs.

Also... where are you studying? Do they not have iPhones there? Because most other countries just sell unlocked phones anyway. Could she not send you money to pick up one there?

7. Jaypatel3192 thread starter macrumors member

I'll be using Vodafone in India. The phone will work here as one of my friends has done the same thing I'm doing and has it working here. My mom is just testing the phone because I won't be able to return it and whatnot here and since they are produced on a production line there is bound to be a defective phone here and there. Hoping it isn't mine #

Regarding buying one, a 16GB 6 runs for 920 dollars here if I did a currency exchanged. And since someone is coming from there she could send me one so that was what we thought we'd try

8. Jaypatel3192 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone who recently bought a tmobile phone from apple having this problem by the way? I'm getting mixed answers from what I'm reading on apple forums

9. phon macrumors regular

she may have turn on airplane mode. turn it off

10. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

No, my co worker recently purchased one and had no problem using it with another carrier SIM card.

11. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I say try another SIM. Try an AT&T one.

12. Jaypatel3192 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to tell my mom to try them and see. Also going to have her update it to 8.1 since it's on 8.0 and see if that makes a difference. Will keep you guys updated!