Tmobile now throttling...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Truefan31, Aug 13, 2014.

1. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Good. There are too many cheap asses on TMo/Sprint who abuse the hell out of their unlimited data plans. There is no reason to be downloading/torrenting on a mobile data connection. Zero reasons at all.

2. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

This can be said about customers on other networks as well. I do have an unlimited data plan and my only issue with the throttling of it is this. Unlimited is unlimited and if these carriers are going to limit my speeds to the point where I can't use my plan to its fullest abilities. They might as well do away with the UL plans altogether and stop trying to make it as difficult as they can so those of us that still have it will switch to limited plan.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

VZW makes their throttling conditions known. Tmobile's policies seem a little vague.

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

This. I've seen comments from people stating that they cancelled their home internet and just tether off of their unlimited T-Mobile data.

These morons are what ruin it for everyone.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

This throttling I totally agree with. Using cellular data for torrenting and p2p activities is straight up abuse. Since tethering on the unlimited data plans is capped at 3GB, the people who were doing this had to root their phones or use some type of app to bypass T-Mobile's tethering limits anyway in clear violation of the ToS. People who want to use torrents and such need to get a real ISP.

----------

This is actually more clear than Verizon's. Verizon just says "X % of top users". So there is really no way to know what constitutes a top user. Is it a person who uses 3GB? 5GB?, 10GB? Who knows?

This T-Mobile throttling clearly goes at those who are abusing the network through illegal tethering by bypassing their tethering limits with 3rd party apps or rooting. They even say they will send the abusers warning messages to stop before they start throttling them. So pretty much as long as you are using your plan normally you will never be throttled.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Wait, you complain about the terms of service violation but you are ok with torrenting? :rolleyes:

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Where did I say I was okay with torrenting? I said it was abuse of the network and shouldn't be done with cellular data.

8. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Isn't torrenting a violation of some ToS of an ISP too?

9. I7guy macrumors G5

The bolded is what others are suggesting that you think torrents and such are okay.

Verizon's stance is very clear. As it defines a limit of 4.7gb. What isn't clear is what is meant by a "busy tower". However, it's one of those things that will have to be seen to know how users might be impacted.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

Well to clarify, most ISPs don't make a distinction between what their data is being used for like cellular providers. Unlimited mobile data is just that, mobile data. T-Mobile restricts the tethering to 3GB. That's the difference. If I recall the use of torrents themselves are not illegal but rather the transfer of copyrighted files. If people are transferring illegal files via torrents then that's on them. I can't recall a situation where an ISP told users they can't perform high transfer rate tasks with the home broadband such as torrents whereas cellular data networks cant handle those type of high rate transfers that's why I said that. Though from what I've seen, the vast majority of people using torrents are doing so to illegally share copyrighted media, but that's an entirely different discussion which is irrelevant to this topic.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Never seen such a large group in favor of more regulations. Let's not forget this is a byproduct of companies offering services they can not provide.

It starts out with marketing to gain more customers already with the knowledge they can't provide what they are marketing if that marketing works. They get the customers then regulate what they previously offered that got you there in the first place.

Imagine the repercussions if you did this in whatever it is you do for a living? In my line of work it means me working 60+ hrs a week. I don't have a problem with that but many of my coworkers do. It also means unhappy customers a lot of the time.

I'm on a tiered plan that my employer pays for so it doesn't matter if I go over. It would be nice to see the day that cellular data was a readily available for unlimited use as broadband.

12. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I certainly wish AT&T throttled their grandfathered unlimited plans like this. I think T-mobiles approach is very reasonable and will only affect people who use their mobile data in a way that it was never intended. You can stream video all day long and you shouldn't be affected. AT&T on the other hand is the most onerous where they throttle you after 5GB even with normal use.

13. Truefan31 thread starter macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Good point