Tmobile plan on iphone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Soccy, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Soccy macrumors newbie

I've unlocked my iphone 3G but I do not have cell service or data plan service. I bought my phone second hand. I'd like to know how to get a service plan from Tmobile. Do I take my phone in? What is the best plan to get? I don't talk very much, probably about 60 minutes a month. I text moderately. I do check email often and surf the web a lot. I also use a lot of apps that need my wifi access. Most of the time I do this at home using my home wifi access, but occasionally, I'd like to be able to do this when I go out. I'd also like to use the navigation software, but can't because I have no service.

I know Tmobile is the most economical way to go, but I have no idea how to go about getting it. Or what the best plans are to get. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will only be able to get 2G/Edge carrier data thru tmobile.
    No 3G since their band is incompatible with the iphone.
    You can go to Tmobile and setup an account and check out your options. Or go to their site.
    See if you can get the $9.99 data plan and hope they dont try to upsell you the $24.99 plan.
    You can use navigation apps/software with no service or data at all.
    All you need is the navigation app with the maps preinstalled and your GPS chip inside the phone thats all.

3. Soccy thread starter macrumors newbie

I also want to get phone and text service. Is there a way to do that? Also, after I set up an online account, how do I get my phone physically hooked up to the service? Do I take it in? or buy a sim card? I've never had a cell phone service before (always used tracfone) so it's all very new to me.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can pick a voice and text messanging plan.
    They will give you an active tmobile card and once you put it inside your unlocked iphone you will be able to call and texts right away.
    You might have to go into the settings to setup the correct APN settings for tmobile internet but besides that everything else should be easy.
    The helpfull people at Tmobile will walk you thru.

5. larock macrumors member

Like you I text more then I call and I almost always have wifi near by (Starbucks in a pinch). So I went in to T-Mobile and bought a $10 sim for their prepaid $15 unlimited text and $0.10 a minute plan, no data though. But it works great for me.

For offline navagation I use MotionX GPS. It allows you to down load maps to your phone (while you are gconnection to wifi) for later use. It's not a full function navagation app (turn here type), more of a GPS with mapping function, but it's all I need.

I'm happy with my iPhone 3GS on T-Mobile. I hated giving AT&T $70+ a month when I live and spend most of my time in an Edge area. Plus my data over cellular was usually less then 100MB a month. I also Rolled-Over thousands of minutes because I text way more then I talk. I considered going with a GoPhone plan, but with the newer $15 unlimited text plan GoPhone couldn't compete.