Tmobile....Really?????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Willie5566, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Willie5566 macrumors regular

I keep reading about people wanting to jailbreak their iPhone and take it to Tmobile. What is the point??? I could see taking it to Verizon but Tmobile? I am not going to pretend that AT & T service is great but I do not see Tmobile as being a big upgrade at all. Hardly seems worth the effort of jailbreaking and from what I understand you do not get updates if the phone is jail broken.

I am sure I am missing something. I do not claim to know a lot about jailbreaking a phone. I will say I have tested about every cellular carrier out there and Tmobile is not that good.

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

it is the only other carrier in the US that the iphone will work on. verizon does not use gsm.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

because you can't take a jailbroken phone to Verizon....

4. CJayC macrumors 6502

Can't use it on Verizon. Verizon is a CDMA network and iPhone is a GSM phone

END THREAD PLEASE.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Well considering tmo is the only option for people who want an iPhone but don't want ATT (as described above). I had tmo on a first gen iPhone until I got my 3G. All in all, very good experience. Price was right on Data (and included unlimited wifi at starbucks), and tmo staff was very knowledgeable of (unauthorized) unlocked iPhone usage on their network.

6. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I'm selling my iPhone 3G on craigslist, and a few people have asked if they can take an unlocked phone into a T-Mobile store and get it set up and activated.

Anyone know how this would go? It seems they might not help much, since it's unauthorized, but on the other hand, it's a sale.

Anyone have experience with this?

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I have heard that they will help you out with a jailbroken iPhone. A sale is a sale no matter how you have to get it.

8. Tara Luvs Apple macrumors 6502a

Even though their service is not the best, they are quite cheap and have great customer service. I had T-Mobile before switching to Cingular (before it was AT&T) in 2006. I am sure they people do get service somewhere out there. Just because you do not like them, does not mean that no one else can. :)

9. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

A lot of people are T-Mo customers already and would like a nice phone with their service. That's why they get their iPhones unlocked. Other folks like using their no contract plans on T-mo.

10. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

T-mobile was very happy to sell me a SIM card for my iPhone to use with one of their pre-paid services. Depending on how much one uses their iPhone, this is a pretty inexpensive way to go.

11. tnisatard macrumors 6502

IMO tmobile's service is just as good as AT&T here in San Jose

and for the price of a family plan on tmobile 3 lines and unlimited family texting for 750 minutes is only $80 a month

while AT&T I only get 550 minutes for 3 lines for $70 a month

however tmobile's 3G network cant touch AT&T, but cell phone reception is just as good IMO

12. Willie5566 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it true that future software updates cannot be applied to a jailbroken phone?

It seems like the savings would be nominal.

What happens if say Verizon buy T-mobile (which happens a lot in tel-com and then phases out the T mobile system. Similar to what Sprint is doing with Nextel.

Just curious is all.

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Some people like T-Mobile better. Whether it be they think the service is better (customer or signal) or they want to save money on it.

Personally, I like AT&T. I had T-Mobile and hated it. Customer service sucked. Overcharges for no reason. Stupid carrier IMO.

Jailbreaking: People jailbreak to be able to unlock the iPhone to work with T-Mobile (in this case). When one updates the firmware it goes back to the official Apple firmware which takes away the jailbreak and a lot of times the baseband is updated which hinders unlocking.

People just wait until another jailbreak comes out, then upgrade, jailbreak again and unlock. They continually repeat this process in a never ending battle with Apple.

Personally I don't see the worth in it but some people seem to live and die by the "sword of jailbreaking and unlocking."

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Updates can sometimes be applied if the hackers release a new jailbreak, but it's unclear whether they will jailbreak and unlock IOS4 for previous phones or not.

If Verizon bought T-Mobile, they would probably switch to GSM rather than phase it out, as CDMA is on its last legs. GSM has become the world standard, while CDMA is US-only, and one of the main reasons they don't have the iPhone.

15. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

I had T-Mobile for 13 years (and still do for another 16 months) and I never had a complaint...other than their customer service. I ended up breaking my own rule and left a carrier for a device...the iPhone. If the T-Mobile and AT&T 3G frequencies were the same, I'd still be with T-Mo.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

T-Mobile and Verizon are both moving to LTE in a few years so it wouldn't matter if one bought the other, they'd all eventually be on the same technology anyways.

17. Hornman macrumors newbie

I used to work for both T-Mobile and AT&T. Seeing as they both have complete, free roaming agreements their coverage is EXACTLY the same everywhere. T-mobile used to have fantastic customer service but they must have realized that no one else bothers with it and decided to give it up, because they are just as bad as everyone else now. (they all are absolutely inexcusably terrible) but they still have by far the lowest rates of anyone. So, same coverage, slightly better CS, lower prices, I think the real question is why would anyone not use T-mobile for their iPhone.

18. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

On my T-Mobile prepaid, I only pay for what I use, sometimes as little as $10 a month. That's a BIG savings, especially since its mostly text, which would be an add-on to my at least $55 AT&T bill. This really isn't enough for me though, and I will be switching over to AT&T and forking up 70 bucks a month for my iPhone 4.