Tmobile samsung vibrant + iPad 2 tether?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sam2428, Mar 19, 2011.

1. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Has anyone successfully Bluetooth tethered their vibrant to the iPad without rooting? I have searching and trying and it is not finding or connecting to my phone. I'm trying with PDAnet btw. Thanks!

2. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Stop wasting your time because the iPad will not tether over Bluetooth. You will need software to share your connection via wifi, not Bluetooth. Google is your friend.

3. LoneRider macrumors member

Yes, I have successfully done it. With a couple of caveats...

1- It is WiFi tethering, not Bluetooth.
    2-If you don't want to root your phone, you need to update it to the Android 2.2 release which offers a native Mobile AP (access point) feature.

I got the Vibrant back in September and immediately rooted it to tether with my iPad and MacBook Pro. Once they released the Android 2.2 update in January, I upgraded and started using the built in tether function. My phone remained rooted even after the 2.2 update.

I also did the 2.2 update for a couple of friends on phones that were not rooted, and confirmed that the Mobile AP feature worked on them as well, even without root access.

Not sure why, but T-Mobile decided not to push the 2.2 update out over the air, so to update it you need to download the Samsung Mini-Kies program and connect to a computer and do the upgrade. It only takes a few minutes, and once completed you go to "Settings", "Wireless and Network", "Mobile AP".

Give your access point a name and a password, and then your iPad (or anything else wifi) will see it just as if it was a regular wifi network. One note, it eats your battery pretty fast, so you may want to consider an extended battery or have a means to plug in available.

A couple weeks ago I switched from the Vibrant to the Galaxy S 4G with T-mobile. Phone is nearly identical to the Vibrant, but with 4G and a FFC. It came with Android 2.2.1, and has the Mobile AP feature out of the box. It tethers the same way and I have used it on the iPad, iPad2, iPod Touch, MacBook Pro and a windows Netbook.

Not sure your reasoning for wanting to avoid rooting, but rooting the Vibrant (and the Galaxy S 4G) is a very simple process using "Super One Click Root". If you root it, there are a couple of options, I had the best luck with "Barnacle Tether", it consistently gave me faster throughput than the "WiFi Tether" app.

All the specifics can be found on the XDA-developers.com site under the Samsung Vibrant section.

4. sam2428 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Loner rider, I was under the impression that Bluetooth tethering was possible with iOS 4.3 due to posts/articles like this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1118966&highlight=bluetooth+tether

I did do a google search and have seen the forums at xda developers, but I was wondering if I could avoid rooting all together. I know it is a simple process but I didn't want to bother having to update my phone with new releases of android software, void warranty, and potentially ruining my phone trying to update it in the future. But i guess I will go with the root method and try using barnacle. I was hoping to use Bluetooth because it would consume less phone battery life as well. I'm not planning on using the tether very often, but it would be nice to have it setup when I do need it. thanks for the help and suggestions. (btw I have been thinking about switching to a HSPA+ phone myself for the speed)

Also, I don't see why people like thetruth1985 even bother posting when they have nothing to contribute to help and are ignorant about the matter themselves. Pull the stick out of your a$$ bro and go do something useful.

5. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Ok I have a stick up my a$$ but you are the one in here asking how you can tether your tmobile phone via Bluetooth. If you bothered to read the link that you posted, you should have seen that it would not work with your phone. WINNING

6. steveruv macrumors newbie

sam2428,

rooting is harmless. you can always go back to stock.

anyways, ive used my rooted vibrant and like lonerider says, tethering via wifi will work. ive used the mobile ap as well and it works!

i thought i was on the xda site when i saw the info thetruth gave you. maybe you should start a post about smart covers not protecting the back and it should be free, maybe you wont have to worry about having a stick up your ass thetruth.