Tmobile set up/unlock help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BIS2, Feb 27, 2012.

1. BIS2 macrumors regular

I have Tmobile and have wanted an iPhone forever - I finally took the plunge and bought a used iPhone 4 that is jailbroken and unlocked (1.59 baseband, ios 5). I'm a Mac user and I've had an iPod touch so I know the basics, but I know zero about the whole jailbreak/unlock thing and I'm terrified that I'm going to accidentally lock the phone or something!

I did a search on this sort of thing here but didn't see specific answers to these Qs - please forgive me if this stuff is already answered somewhere. If there's a great website or thread that covers all this I would love to be pointed in the right direction....

Short of that, I'm hoping someone here can answer a couple of specific questions:

1. I've looked around online a bunch but haven't found a good, clear set of directions for how to set myself up on Tmobile. Is it just as simple as putting the mini SIM card in and that's it? Do I have to manually put in any settings or anything?

2. The only way I can screw up the unlock is to update the software, correct? I assume an iPhone works just like an iPod touch in that when I plug the phone into my computer, iTunes will ask me if I want to update the software - it won't ever just go ahead and do this right (I'll always have the chance to say no?)? At this point I'm just paranoid about plugging it into my Mac!

3. Are there any other tips or settings or things I need to know?

Thanks!

2. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

open Cydia and search Ultrasn0w, if thats installed it means your unlocked, if not install it

its as easy as putting your tmobile SIM in.

if iTunes is wanting to restore the iphone look up PWNAGETOOL and follow the instructions for your iphone. Then when you click restore hold OPTION and select the .ipsw generated by PWNAGETOOL which will keep the baseband at 1.59

from there open cydia and get ultrasn0w to unlock :D

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If the phone has already been unlocked with Ultrasn0w then you just need to install the Tmobile SIM card and you will get voice service.

You need to be aware the iphone does not support 3G from Tmobile but it will
    work with their 2g network no problem. Use your home wireless network and go to help.benm.at/tethering.php select country USA and carrier Tmobile and download the apn setting for tmobile. If you have a data plan it will allow you to connect to their network for data.

You will not lose the unlock if you do not update the software and Itunes will always ask you first. It is best to avoid updates altogether.

It is possible to do updates with the right tools but best avoided until you are a lot more familiar with some of the tools.

4. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Great, thank you both so much! One last question-

On the phone in the Settings>General there is a "software update" option - I assume I should NEVER click on this right?

5. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

That option checks to see if there is an available update and you'd still have to confirm its installation, but yes, to be safe, don't even go there, haha.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You need to turn off 3G. It can interfere with the operation of your phone.
    iclarified has lots of helpful tutorials.
    Don't ever update the standard way. You must always create custom firmware. Once you update via itunes or your phone, you can never get your unlock back.
    Someone posted the info about editing your apn. This is primarily useful for data and text (not 100% sure about the latter). Voice should work as soon as you insert the sim.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Using MMS on T-Mobile requires you enter specific APN settings. To open your APN settings, you can try taking your sim in and out a couple times (some say this works but I really have my doubts). The best way is to buy "tether me" from Cydia. Google for the exact MMS APN settings for T-Mobile.

Also, you may have issues getting iMessage and FaceTime activated on the T-Mobile network. Both require sending a code to get activated which T-Mobile interprets as an international sms message. I do not know of any surefire way to get this done on T-Mobile.

8. BIS2 thread starter macrumors regular

iMessage/FaceTime

The Tmobile store set me up, I'm not exactly sure what they did but iMessage is working fine. As far as FaceTime, I don't have an icon for it like I did on the iPod but I assume that's cause it's an option when you go into contacts? At first it didn't work but I went in and turned it off and then on. It seems to only work if I have wifi on - it doesn't want to work over the Tmobile network. Not sure if this is normal, but at least it works at all. I'll work on figuring that out next guess!

9. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Uh? Facetime is only supposed to work on wifi. Unless you have an app on Cydia which lets you do otherwise. And I don't know if it would work since it's on EDGE? :rolleyes: