Carrier Tmobile unlock policy question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Apr 19, 2018.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

i'm asking for my parents. both of them are using Tmobile's iPhone 7 since last summer. they're still paying for the phones via monthly bills. do they have to complete the 24 month payments before they can request to unlock their phones? i've heard as long as you pay 6 months of payments on time you can unlock it, which one is true?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

Unless they changed it I think it's still. After paying it off?

3. Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Device must be paid off completely and your account must be in good standing with no unpaid bills before they can unlock it. However, it is at the carrier’s discretion whether they will unlock it if you’re traveling abroad.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

4. JackieInCo Suspended

They will only unlock two devices per account per year.

The phone must be paid off completely. The phone also has to have been used on the network for at least one day of use on the account during the past 40 days.

I know this because I was trying to get my 7+ unlocked two days after paying it off. I bought the phone in November and paid it off two weeks ago. I ported one of the three lines on my account to AT&T and it just happened to be the line that was using the 7+. The T-Mobile unlock service turned down my first request stating that my line had been cancelled and that the phone had to be in use 1 day out of the past 40.

I called T-Mobile the next day and told them this and they sent a new request. This time they denied it saying there were charges still owed on my account which is false.

Called T-Mobile the next day and this time they made notes on the unlock request saying the account was still open and that my account was paid in full and was current. This time the request was approved.

They can be annoying but as long as the phone is paid and the account is current, they should unlock the phone.