Tmobile Web Edge $5.99

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KhuntienNang, Feb 23, 2008.

1. KhuntienNang macrumors member

okay, i am using tmobile on my recently unlocked iphone. and i have always had the tmobile web $5.99 plan since before iphone. however, how do I activate it so my iphone can also run on the edge?

i tried to do it myself based on the tutorial on http://jbwebdev.com/blog/want-edge-on-your-t-mobile-iphone/
    so, i used the ibrickr, and it messed up my iphone. it went crazy and i couldnt even do anything on it. i worked on it until 3.30 am in the morning, and to cut the story short, i had to restore it again from beginning. thank goodness my iphone is back alive.

and again, i have unlocked it with ziphone. and im still trying to use the tmobile edge. is there any other simpler way to do it without breaking my iphone again?

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Just change edge to WAP.VOICESTREAM.COM and you are good to go on v 1.1.3.

I JUST bought an OOTB 1.1.3, did ZiPhone and added that to edge, and no problems.

On my old 1.0.2=>1.1.1 phone, I did have to do some further editing, and it was tricky.... but somewhere in there, it got fixed so it works OOTB.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I tried using the $5.99 plan here in Chicago and I never got it working (with the setting used above).

T-Mobile must have set it so that you have to use the $20/month plan for it to work. More money for them...

I switched online to the $20/month plan online and the next morning, without doing any changes to my Edge settings, my Edge symbol turned on and it started working. :eek:

Well, at least I can use my laptop Wifi as well at all Starbucks and Borders Books...

4. KhuntienNang thread starter macrumors member

carfac: I tried and changed the setting, but is still won't work. Is there any application in the installer that could make it work? Or is there anything else that I am missing?

Gkarris : I know, I called the tmobile before and the reps keep trying to talk me into signing up the $20 plan. But since some people have tried the 5.99 and works, I thought might as well try to find out how to do it since I already have the plan.

5. thatdude90210 macrumors member

BigBoss's Repository Beta/Experimental source (install from community source) has a T-mobile 1.1.3 Tzone hack. If you're on 1.1.3 firmware, have you tried that?

6. elenex50 macrumors member

same

Im in the same boat as you. I unlocked my otb 16giphone i got today with ziphone 2.4 and it unlocks and all that good stuff but i cant get the edge to work either. I see the E icon on my phone but i dont get the service. i need help too. Is there supposed to be bars next to the E.

7. in4maous macrumors newbie

How do you setup the laptop Wifi at Starbucks and Borders with the unlimited plan?

8. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Has anyone tried that BigBoss T-Zones hack? (I did NOT use that, buit I see it on Installer.... perhaps you should give that a whirl???)

All I can tell you is I am running T-Zones NO PROBLEM, and all I did was the ZiPhone on a OOTB 16 Gigger 1.1.3.

I will be doing another one today for my wife, I will report back on that one.

9. KhuntienNang thread starter macrumors member

yeah. i just did! i used that big boss tzone hack. my edge works now. though a little slow. but at least it works. how about others?

10. Paul B macrumors 6502

Which voice plan do you have?

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

OK, reporting back!

Got a new 16 gigger yesterday (boxed, Apple Store, 1.1.3) Here is EXACTLY what I did.

ZiPhone 2.4 Activate Unlock Jailbreak
    Installed BSD Subsystem
    Installed OpenSSH
    In "Tweaks 1.1.3", Installed "TMobile Carrier Logo" version 1.01. Not sure if it makes a difference, or if this makes some sort of change to the EDGE settings for TMo- but that is ALL I did... and I had EDGE right up- did not even have to add wap.voicestream.com

Glad for others that BigBoss thing seems to work, too.

12. MacCurry macrumors 6502

Where can I find Tweaks 1.1.3? Got an iPhone today and will try this tonight.

13. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Sorry- it is in Installer.app ;)

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

YouTube doesn't work with that BigBoss hack (I just looked it up elsewhere online). YouTube over EDGE here in the Chicago area works fine.

When you are at a T-Mobile hotspot with your laptop. If you have the Total Internet plan, just log into the T-Mobile welcome page and you can also use your laptop at any T-Mobile hotspot. That's part of that $20/month.

15. KhuntienNang thread starter macrumors member

carfac: hey, how fast is the tzone plan on your iphone? i used the big boss tzone hack, and tzone works, but kinda slow. at some places, it wont even work.

paul B: you mean what kind of tmobile plan i have? i am using family plan, with tmobile web $5.99 plan added on my number. that's all.

16. wchong macrumors 6502

do you get Edge signal? how slow is it?

17. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Slower than my wi-fi. Not sure how to measure the speed.

18. KhuntienNang thread starter macrumors member

well yeah, i got that little blue square with E letter on top.
    i dont know how to measure the speed either, but i could definitely tell that it is a lot slower as compared to if i use wi-fi. at some places (where I only have 1-2 tmobile bars), the edge runs so slow that it feels like it is not working.

19. wchong macrumors 6502

try going to www.speakeasy.net and run the speedtest. i'm not sure if it's flash based, but if it is then discard that idea.

20. MacCurry macrumors 6502

When using ZiPhone Mac GUI 2.4, I got one error, but all is fine. Its a brand new OTB 16GB iPhone.

In the Tweaks folder, not Tweaks 1.1.3, the "TMobile Carrier Logo" is version 1.0, not 1.01. I installed it, but Edge still doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

21. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Yeah- uninstall THAT one, and try installing the one I told you about. There are TWO versions. That one you did is NOT the one I used. Not that I KNOW the one I used is any different... I just know that this is the one I used, and I am having no problems.

Also, the one you did specifically says it is for 1.1.2... and the one I used is for 1.1.3. Maybe that makes a difference... I dunno.

Good luck and report back- this would be good to nail down!

22. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Just tried it- it says you need Flash 7.0 min... so no go.

ANy other ideas? I am happy to try!

23. wchong macrumors 6502

go here: http://www.dslreports.com/stest

24. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

OK.

Latency of about 1000 ms
    Speed 143 kbps

I am at work, with the phone high up on my desk for good reception. I show 4 bars...

dave

25. wchong macrumors 6502

143 kbps. dang. that's about 18Kilobytes per second...

SLOWWW. how is it when u are surfing the net or watching movies in youtube? compare it to wi-fi (get dslreports test)