Tmobile wifi calling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princealyy, Sep 23, 2014.

1. princealyy macrumors regular

When will it work in our iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

Is it already working and I just don't know it ?? I like in a very weak signal area.

Thanks.

2. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

3. princealyy thread starter macrumors regular

4. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

What's the primary benefit of wifi calling if you get unlimited minutes anyway?

Basically if your T-Mobile service sucks and if you're connected to wifi, you can make calls/texts?

5. amro macrumors 6502

Uh, yeah.

6. 617aircav Suspended

And you can make phone calls with your number when abroad.

7. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Wifi calling is especially important on T-Mobile as they currently have poor signal penetration in buildings. For example, at work I get 0-1 bar (dots) with T-Mobile, but we have building-wide wifi, so it's perfect. I get great reception outdoors and at home (although I still got a cellspot because it's free and a great wifi router), but work was always a problem, and now it's not.

8. mademan118 macrumors regular

I Pre-ordered 2 iPhone 6+'s from t-mobile. Was planning on returning them right away, but i decided to test the signal at my house.

People report that T-mobiel SOUNDS better than AT&T on basic cellular reception. I can also tell a noticeable difference. I have complete coverage all over my house which isn't possible with AT&T.

Next was the wifi calling. Boy was this impressive. It is crystal clear and people on the other end of the phone report the same. They come in nice and crisp, and the volume is substantially louder (so much so I had to turn down my usually max volume 5-6 notches).

Needless to say, we are taking our 64gb AT&T iPhone 6+ to T-mobile.

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

What's funny is that, on the iP6, my regular signal strength is better than AT&T on my 5S. It's working in places my AT&T service struggled, including on the elevator at work. But my house is a dead zone for all carriers so WiFi calling solves that.

10. grinny11 macrumors regular

Was in Mexico two weeks ago using wifi calling on iOS beta. On a portion of the jungle for a week where almost no one gets reception but the hotel had satellite wifi. Good for me because even through the satellite service was slow, my wifi calls worked great and they were all standard calls that didn't get roaming charges. Great service when you can use your phone abroad for free.

Combined with tmobile's free international data, what a winner!

11. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

For all the hate T-Mobile gets, I have really enjoyed their service.

From the incredible pricing... let's face it, their rates and family plans are insane. I got 4 lines right now for $100

To the great data speeds in my area anyway. I live right in the heart of a large city (Dallas), so I know this helps... as T-Mobile could use some work on the outskirts of random cities. But I'm coming from Sprint, so this all seems like lightning speed in comparison lol.

And their free international data and free texting is awesome. Now add in wifi calling when overseas? Pretty sweet.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

I used T-Mobile a few years ago, and it was wretched. I couldn't get service ANYWHERE that I needed it, and I live in Los Angeles. I couldn't switch away from them fast enough. But since AT&T failed to buy them and they ended up with a bunch of spectrum that they put to good use, and since they began their Uncarrier initiatives, it's a totally different company. I've been very happy with them since I joined again last year. For the release of the 6, I considered switching to Verizon for the overall better coverage, but I couldn't give up all the goodies T-Mobile was tossing out for customers, and Verizon is just too expensive in comparison.

13. gigaguy macrumors 65816

My friend told me there was lots of echo on the call, so I turned off wifi calling and he said it got much better. May be due to my router. Does the router have to have the new ac wifi band to work right? Not sure what my router has, it's pretty new, need to check..

14. dokindo macrumors regular

wifi calling internationally

The free wifi calling when abroad seems too good to be true.

I suppose the only way to ensure that it is indeed going through wifi is to put on airplane mode? Or can I assume if it says tmobile wifi, the call will be routed this way? Not even sure if this would be displayed when outside of the country.

15. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

When out of the country, I would use Facetime audio to call people and not accrue charges on my minutes.

16. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

It will have T-Mobile WiFi as the carrier. You can put it in airplane mode w/ wifi on as a safety but you don't need to. If you have a Simple Choice plan (no wifi needed), you get free data & text, $.20/min for calls. From the TMO site:

17. coolweirdo macrumors regular

coolweirdo

if i have a unlock att iPhone 6 plus and switch to tmobile will i get the wifi calling feature

18. JuNxXxReY macrumors regular

Yes. When you put a T-Mobile SIM card in your unlocked AT&T iPhone 6+, it'll update the carrier settings. Wifi calling feature settings will appear.

19. o2breathe macrumors member

wifi

If wifi calling is turned on, does that mean all calls will go through wifi if i'm connected on wifi?

On my friends android, there is an option for cellular preferred. Only when there is no cellular signal, the call will route through wifi if available.

Does the iphone have that option?

20. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

The only place I've been that I bounce between signal types is at Disney World.

It appears to favor LTE when I'm within a certain signal strength. If I go in a building it bounces to disneys wifi if LTE isn't strong. So to me it seems like it is doing a cellular preferred based on the signal.

I'd love to know the official word as to when it does it, but it works well (just note it will drop calls when you leave wifi) most of the time based on my Disney experiments the past month.

I have crap coverage at home, I'm always on wifi in my house it seems!

21. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Interesting. Makes me wonder if you could use it with in-flight wifi services like gogo internet.... They usually block video streaming, but pandora works, so maybe calls too?

22. CEmajr macrumors 601

In flight you can use it to send texts but not voice calls.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

24. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

This is actually a TMO feature, the SMS anyway. http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-in-flight-wifi-texting-uncarrier.html

I would never want them to enable voice on flights. For anyone. Dear god please never allow voice on flights.

25. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

I love how you answered your own question in the same post.