.tmp files transferred from PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lfhowarth, Feb 27, 2010.

1. lfhowarth macrumors newbie

Hullo,

On transferring data over from my old laptop to new macbook, all the .tmp and invisible files suddenly appear (see screenshot) and I don't know what to do with them. Is there a similar way of masking them/are they necessary/if not, any software that will delete them for me without risking losing data?

I've seen threads on deleting .tmp files in browser caches, but nothing for this kind of thing. I'm also not too sure what they do and whether they're important, so don't want to mess around deleting them myself.

Any help would be great. Cheers!

Liam

Attached Files:

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

On a PC those files could be safely deleted, so I don't see why they'd matter for your Mac. You can delete them by just highlighting them and right clicking on move to trash.

3. lfhowarth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply mate. Do you know of any software that would do this for me? I'm transferring alot of folders, so would take a while to do it all manually.

Also, out of curiosity, what are .tmp files that don't originate from the internet?

Cheers,
    Liam

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

.tmp files are temporary files used by software, usually during the install process, but could also be used when the program is running.

You don't need any software. You could just search in spotlight for .tmp and then select them all and then right click select "move to trash."