tmp folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kim's mom, May 8, 2011.

1. kim's mom macrumors newbie

Can I get rid of files in 'tmp' foldr that is on my hard drive? I am getting rid of things that are questionable since a warning came up about a trojan, that I think was a trojan trying to get me to open it. The file is labeled hsperfdata - I can't find any info on what this is.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need to get rid of it. It's created by Java and even if you delete it, it will likely re-create it. It has nothing to do with any trojan. You shouldn't delete things unless you know what they are. You could end up deleting something needed by Mac OS X or by a legitimate app.

What warning did you receive about a trojan? From what software? Have you installed any pirated software? Or did you get the warning by visiting a website? It's very important that you read the following link.

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install: