TN vs IPS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theSeb, Nov 15, 2014.

1. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I can't believe that I am asking this question, but I am no longer sure what my brain and eyes are telling me.

My main uses are:

1. Looking at code
    2. Looking at constantly moving graphs (trading)
    3. General productivity (Spreadsheets, Documents and Presentations)

I currently have a 24" ACD IPS display and a 22" HP TN 1080p next to it at home. I have a 24" Dell 1920x1200 IPS display at my other location.

Sometimes I think that things look better for me and less of a strain on my eyes on the TN panel, other times it's the opposite. I need more workspace and I am very tempted by the Asus TN 4K display to connect tp my nMP, but I am worried that it's a TN display.

I am curious what other people with similar uses think? I don't do anything that requires colour accuracy. I don't care much about photos and I only do a small amount of video editing where again I don't really care about colour. I can certainly see a difference when I drag a photo from the IPS to the TN panel, but it's not a big deal for me.

So, what do you guys think? TN or IPS?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

IPS will generally deliver a better image than TN. There is no reason to settle for TN when good IPS panels are readily available.

3. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

I agree that IPS is a better display technology for your monitor use. However, I have use Asus 4k TN monitors at work with my nMP and they haven't really been a problem for my eyes. If you want big 4k monitors, TN is the way to go right now.

4. theSeb, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

The problem is that good and hassle free IPS panels with 4K resolution are not readily available right now. I don't know when the new Dell P2715Q will be available in the UK and the price is a lottery. There isn't a 4K IPS display larger than 24" for less than £1000 in the UK right now I don't feel like paying £1000+ for a 4K IPS panel when the Asus TN 4K is around £440, especially if the difference for my use case is minimal.

----------

I am hovering over the buy button for this exact monitor, but I don't want to regret the decision. Maybe I should wait for the Dell. Decisions decisions.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Also wait for Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals. Prices will not go up between now and then.

6. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

Unfortunately we don't really have black Fridays or cyber Mondays in the UK. :( :mad:

7. ilikewhey macrumors 6502

what about boxing day :cool:

8. theSeb thread starter macrumors 604

theSeb

If I wanted cheap clothes or a new couch, then boxing day would be the one for specials. :D