To 1.01 or not?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by hArrisburger, Jun 17, 2015.

1. hArrisburger macrumors regular

I recently got the 42mm after having a 38mm with Watch OS 1.01 already installed. My 42mm still has 1.0. Should I upgrade to 1.01 considering the blowback with heart monitoring? Will it make that much difference with battery life and performance?

2. Jigga macrumors 6502

3. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Battery life stayed the same for me, general performance improved.

(owned my watch since day one).

4. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Isn't the change in HRM intentional by Apple? (meaning all future releases will act the same way).

Are you really going to leave your watch on the 1.0 software and lose out on all the new features (and applications) that are coming and will only run on 2.x and higher?

Just saying, if you stay on 1.0, it won't be for very long. Future iOS versions above 9 may drop support for it as well.

5. hArrisburger thread starter macrumors regular

It is intentional, but there has been enough of an uproar I could see where they would make it optional going forward. I wasn't sure how others felt the update improved other areas of performance and if the loss of desired HRM was worth the improved performance.

6. papbot macrumors 6502

There were some nuisance bugs introduced with the update, the HRM wasn't one of them, but the improvements were necessary and should be implemented. Otherwise wait until the fall for 2.0. My guess, only a guess, is that there will be another 1.0 update before then but maybe not.

7. Kurri, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015

Kurri macrumors 6502

When people say general performance, do you mean apps load quicker? I don't have my watch yet, but keep reading about slow apps or app not working? I dont know, maybe that was with 1.0?

8. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I guess I don't understand what the blow back was all about. Granted, I never had 1.0 (mine arrived with 1.0.1 installed), but it seems to me that the HR monitoring has no impact on the activity rings at all. I mowed the lawn last weekend and completed my exercise ring and then some for doing so without using the Workout app. This seemed to be entirely based on movement and not HR.

9. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

The blowback is due to HR being measured every 10 minutes and ONLY if your arm is not moving at all. I understand the every 10 minutes, but the not moving makes no sense.

My watch is prompting for an update and I'm ignoring it.