To 3 or not to 3 - that is my question...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ssledoux, Sep 23, 2017.

1. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I ordered my series 3, but with all the threads about AT&T issues, and all the confusion about how the cellular actually works (or doesn’t for texts unless phone has connection, etc., although that’s not likely an issue for me since my phone is always on and almost always has LTE), I’m just wondering how much better the 3 is over my series 1.

Is it really worth all the hassle to upgrade? Is it that much better?

2. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Question, why are you buying a 3 series? From the first watch (series 0) the additional speed and screen might be “worth” it. Otherwise, after a day and a half with the new S3 LTE (and I have a series 0), I would say that no, it is not worth it. Unless you have a seriously specific need for stand alone connectivity or your old watch is starting to get old (battery losing storage), the series 0 does everything the 3 does if you have it tethered to your phone, which is my situation 90% of the time. I also do not need water proofing to 50 m, at all. If you are asking the question and almost always have you phone around, then I’d say the answer is pass on the series 3. Having said that, I have not decided if I am going to keep the S3. It works as advertised and I am really digging the SB SS. I just put it on the charger and it still has >75% charge (!). But other than that, for how I use my watch, I would not push others on the S3 model, the S1 model would suit most all without the $10/mos charge on top of the hardware purchase.

3. verdejt macrumors 6502

verdejt

If your looking to upgrade grab a series 2. Right now you can find deals on them. I have a series 2 and the only true features of the 3 I would want is the barometer/altimeter and the wireless charging (qi or whatever it's called).

4. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I disagree with DynaFXD. There is a tremendous difference between a Series 0 and a Series 3.

5. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

A) Why would you want a barometer? I know what it is used for, but that is a mighty specific item on which someone would choose to upgrade to or simply chose the series 3.
    B) Wireless charging?? My series 3 is sitting on my series 0 wireless charger and working just fine. What are you expecting differences to be? (I’m genuinely interested)
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Hence my question as to why the OP is looking to purchase an S3 (by their question I assume an LTE model). Aside from LTE, which is an obvious but case specific need, what are you seeing that are “tremendous differences”? Because I have an S0 and S3 right here, almost always have my phone nearby, and I just don’t see these differences. Aside from a stronger battery as I noted, but that is a given with a new device. I never thought my S0 would last forever, so maybe the refreshed battery is reason enough to hang on to it and if I don’t need the LTE I can shut it off and just go with loading music/podcasts into the extra Memory. But beyond that, for a non-swimmer, a series 1 tethered to a phone would be just fine for most all use scenarios IMHO. A series 0 user who doesn’t have a real need for stand alone LTE besides “I just want it” isn’t missing much IMO.

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

My series 3 GPS replaces a series 0. The speed increase and better battery life is worth it in my opinion. Siri is fast and therefore useful. Maps, find my friends and other apps load and give results swiftly.

I almost always have my phone with me so the LTE wasn’t an attractive option. The extra $10 a moth to my carrier was also pushed me further away from going LTE.

My series 3 is like expirencing Apple Watch for the first time. Love it. Love it. Love it.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Aside from the LTE confusion, a lot of reports indicate the speed difference on the Series 3 is far improved Over the Series 1/2 with reduced lag and with applications. That might be something to consider as well.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don’t yet have the s3 but my wife has an s0 and I had an s2 that I sold and the performance differences were notable. My biggest complaint with s2 is that the apps still sometimes lag when loading new. The s0 is much worse at this. I can only imagine, at the very least, the 3 matches the 2 in performance?

Not attempting to argue just point out an observation. The s2 was the clear winner in time savings for me and I would assume (maybe erroneously) that being people are buying watches to check notifications, time is a factor or else breaking out the phone makes the most sense.

My biggest reason to tell peoooe
    To rally think about whether they should buy a series 3 with lte is particularly whether they’re ready to pay a monthly fee. Granted it’s not a requirement, but it’s something I’m “struggling” with a bit myself. I do plan to use the watch only for runs, but there’s that additional $10 monthly fee and, at least for now, it seems I’d be stuck with Apple Music.

9. edhchoe, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

My wife's AW2 has altimeter after os4 update.

I pay $100 / year for nest surveillance camera recording service. I don't even have the need for the recordings for weeks until something happens or i go on a vacation. But i pay it. I consider the nest subscription and this LTE subscription extra convenience. I don't need it everyday but when i do need it i will have it.

10. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Ohoooooohooo. Please post evidence. This would realy be great. Standalone barometric calculations?

11. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I am sorry I lied. It must have been her iphone that detected elevation gains.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only differences I'm aware of is GPS, increased water proofing and performance with apps. Is there other differences? Honest question because I'm debating the S0 vs. S3 right now.

GPS is a nice thing since I run, but can if I want run with my phone, but its definitely in the category of an advantage.
    water proofing - I'm mostly meh, but this, since I've showered with my watch and run in torrential downpours with no ill effects.
    Performance with apps, I rarely use apps, the small form factor does not lend itself for using an app, at least for me. For example: If I want to hail an uber, I'll do that with my iPhone because I can get a map and more information on the screen then I can on the tiny watch display.

I'm not looking to disagree but rather find out if there's more differences other then what I have as I'm trying to justify the GPS version of the S3. I was going to get the LTE version but I've since cancelled that order, for a number of reasons.

13. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

Sounds like you and I have similar usage patterns. I already have my S3 LTE sync’d and running and I am still struggling with the idea of keeping it. I don’t use apps,so the brighter screen and speed is a wash. I like to geocache and Pokémon Go, so if I am out walking or running my phone is almost always in a fanny pack, so GPS/altimeter is covered. I’m not a frequent swimmer. For those such as you and I, the 3 does not,offer much over that which we already have -> Pass on it IMO. BTW, I heard on a review video (but cannot confirm) even though the S3 is water tight to 50 m, Apple will not cover water damage unless you have AppleCare+ If true, that stinks, so think about adding that cost and the cost of each incident on top of the watch if you plan on heavy water usage.

Final note to others: When it comes to wearables,”because I just want it” is a completely legitimate reason to buy something, IMHO. So whereas my posts in this thread have been somewhat itemizing of the S3 vs Sn, throw all that out the window and get what makes you happiest. Can’t live life by a ledger sheet and if the S3 is something that you will look forward to wearing everyday, by all means jump on it. It is a very nice, well made smart watch. Hence my struggle to decide to return it.

14. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 65816

ssledoux

The main reason I would upgrade is for the cellular aspect. I’m not sure if it’s something I HAVE to have, but I’m sure it would come in handy at times. I’d like to be able to leave my phone sometimes and the cellular would make that possible.

I don’t really need my watch to be waterproof.

I had an S2 in stainless and wound up going back to the S1 (just didn’t feel like going from S1-S2 aluminum was necessary at the time). The weight of the stainless actually compressed on a nerve in my arm and really bothered me. I asked it another thread about the weight and size of the 3 for that reason.

Right now my battery life is pretty decent. I’ve upgraded to OS 4 and it doesn’t seem to have affected it much, if at all. I usually do charge it every night (or in the morning before I leave the house if I forget), but it always has at least 20-30% left ( sometimes more if my usage is a little lower).

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I’m still on the fence - gonna think about it a little more I guess...

15. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

For a slight moment I had hopes. But this would not be Apple at all.

16. ssledoux thread starter macrumors 65816

ssledoux

Okay I’ve watched a couple of pretty in-depth reviews, and I do think I’m gonna go ahead and stick with the 3. I do have a question though, well a concern really, and it’s about the thickness. Apparently it’s a little thicker than the 2, which was thicker than the one (not the overall watch I think, but the sensor area that touches your wrist). I’m a little concerned because of my sensitivity with the series 2 pressing on my nerve and bothering me.

If you have a 3, have you noticed it being noticeably thicker there?

17. HeathH macrumors regular

Really good conversation. I’ve been debating on upgrading my S0 Black SS with black link bracelet. The LTE option is absolutely the main temptation for me. Still very happy with my S0 (good since I dropped $1100 on that thing), but having some connectivity on hikes / runs would be great.

18. FoxD macrumors 6502a

I went from Series 0 to a 3 and LOVE IT! huge difference in speed and brightness. Much easier to see outside now and no lag anymore. I also love LTE on it. Super convenient! Better than expected for sure.

19. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

The launch day activation chaos should be a non-issue by mid-week. I wouldn’t worry about it.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2017 ---
    The Series 3 LTE also gets double the onboard storage to 16gb. All Series 3s get Bluetooth 4.2 which is much faster for file transfers. If you transfer much music or podcasts to your watch this will be a big deal.

I haven’t noticed any thickness increase on the Series 3.

20. dolphin2421 macrumors regular

dolphin2421

I upgraded from a series 0 SS to an aluminum 3 and I cannot tell a difference in thickness when worn. I have noticed that it “sticks” to the charger better, but that’s it. You will want to take advantage of the 14 day return window.

I’m an equestrian and the main reason I upgraded was LTE — so I could leave my phone behind when riding but still communicate/track workouts/music.

The 3 has surpassed expectations in every way: it is so much faster, battery life improved and the limitations of the 1st release are mostly gone. I LOVE it.

21. profets macrumors 601

Another spec difference is the screen. I think Series 2 went to 1000 nits brightness vs 500(?) on the original.

I've used the original, S2 and now S3, and I'd say for day to day use the performance improvements have really made a difference. I know you mentioned you're not too worried about app performance, but everything is really starting to feel fast, including simple things like swiping up control centre, or between watch faces. Dictation and Siri is quite a significant difference now from S0 to S3. Not trying to persuade you one way or the other, just trying to give some feedback on what I notice with regular day to day use.

I went from the original to the Series 2 a year ago. I could definitely notice the change in thickness, and it annoyed me the first few days but then I did get used to it. But Series 2 to Series 3 doesn't feel like there's a difference at all.

22. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The sensor is only thicker than the 2 if you get the LTE version and only by “2 pieces of paper” so you won’t even notice. If you’re looking at the GPS only version then they are exactly the same size.

23. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from an S0 to an S3, and I am SO happy I did. For me, there is no question it is worth it. Obviously it will depend on what you use it for, but here are the features that I particularly enjoy compared to the S0 (in order of my favorites)
    1. Huge speed improvement
    2. GPS
    3. Altimeter
    4. LTE (being able to get notifications while running without my phone)
    5. Being able to eject water from the speaker (after a run, my S0 speaker often is effectively muted half the day because of being clogged with rain / sweat)
    6. Brighter display
    7. Better waterproofing
    8. Siri can talk
    9. Better heart rate monitoring
    I like to run a lot, and I like the GPS tracking and the altimiter to track how much I climbed on my runs. I used to carry my iPhone with me to do the tracking, but now I don’t have to and it is incredibly liberating to me.

And the speed difference is hard to describe, but after using my S3, I couldn’t go back to the S0. Everthing just zips.

24. predation macrumors 65816

Agreed. I'm disappointed apple is try and force customers into Apple Music.

Love Spotify and I don't want to give that up.

25. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Note: both quotes above edited down for brevity.

If I’m understanding things correctly, Dyna does not feel like there is enough difference between the Series 0/1 to justify the upgrade to the Series 3. And as far as I can tell, Mike is pondering that question as he awaits his Nike+ Series 3 order that is at least a week and a half away.

The difference between the Series 3 is huge compared to the original Apple Watch. Unfortunately, Series 0/1 owners have become accustomed to only using their watch for timekeeping and reading notifications, largely because that is just about all the Series 0/1 can do well. (I fell into that same boat as well.) The original Watch was so poor at doing anything else, we’ve simply become apathetic towards opening our minds to everything else the Series 3 can do. In other words, it’s hard to envision what the new model can do for us.

The increase in speed is tremendous. Well-designed apps are actually useful now.
    It’s truly waterproof for nearly every activity we do.
    The addition of GPS is huge (compared to no GPS in Series 0/1).
    Having a barometer is an important tool for all motion-related activities that involve a change in elevation.
    Brighter, easier to read display.
    And finally the un-tethering of the phone with LTE.
    There have been a ton of improvements since the first Apple Watch!

I know some people don’t have a need for LTE, but I think it’s a huge addition for those of us that don’t want to carry an iPhone with us all of the time. As a runner, cyclist, hiker, etc, I think the addition of LTE connectivity is amazing. Too bad the greedy American cell carriers are charging an exorbitant $10 a month. Had they only charged $5 a month, more of the masses would spring for the LTE model and realize the true worth of this nice feature.

Mike, I know you’re a runner. Unless you tend to just run laps around the neighborhood block and don’t want to be bothered, I would think the Series 3 would be a huge help to you with a barometer, GPS, and LTE. Plus, now that the Watch has some pretty solid processing power, you can actually use apps that may be useful to you.

And Dyna, I recognize that a new Watch may not add anything to your lifestyle and that’s totally cool (you should definitely return it then) but I would be willing to wager that the improvements we’ve seen in the last 29 months are pretty huge for most people.

And hey, it’s pretty cool and amazing that we’re only talking about a device that costs $329 or $399. That’s a lot of technology packed into a low-cost device. (Compared to what we spend on iPhones, Macs, etc.)

Good stuff!