To 30" or not to 30"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BiikeMike, Apr 5, 2007.

1. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

I was one click away from ordering my new mac pro, and then got to thinking about the 30" display. For half the price, I only lose 7" of visibility and a little bit of resolution. I'm using it mostly for photography (Lightoom and CS3) Will I lose anything with the lower res of the 23"?

Also, the 30" is HUGE, and would take up most of my desk!

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

30" is the best size for photo work. Cropping is a breeze with 10-16 megapixel files!

No regrets seriously.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would not go with a 30" if its gonna eat up that much deskspace. I'm not too much into the Feng Shui stuff, but I really do feel that a cluttered workspace causes unnecessary stress.

What about a 23" and another one later? Then again I don't do editing of large picture files (like PrinceAlfie does).

4. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Been reading that they cut the prices of their cinema displays now - you checked the new prices?

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Not only stress but neck pain as well. Using a 30" display is a bit like watching tennis.

6. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Yeah, I'm thinking the 30" is just going to be to big. Thanks all for your input, I'll either go with the 23" ACD or a Gateway 24". Yeah, I know, I know, Apple all the way, but with the Gateway, its cheaper, brighter, bigger, faster response time, and I can calibrate it and it will work the same.

7. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

The gateway will not "work the same" as an Apple for high end print production where color match is critical -- not even with calibration and / or profiling.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Since I deal with huge medium format scans, having a good real estate isn't a bad idea.

If your neck hurts you're sitting way too close to the screen. Remember good ergonomics.

9. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I agree. The Gateway is better for watching movies where boosted contrast is cooler.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm confused (I really am, I'm not trying to be a jerk)...you make it sound like you have a 30", but just the other day in that Mac Pro thread you were telling everyone how it required two physical DVI ports to hook up (which it doesn't). Do you or don't you really have one? I would think you'd know how it hooks up if you had one.

Regardless, 30" is indeed awesome, although I don't have one. It's on my shopping list though...right after a Mac Pro. :)

11. BiikeMike thread starter macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Yeah, after I posted that, I decided that an ACD is for me. Color match is important, and everything points to getting one. I just upped the limit on my Company AMEX, and between that and my personal Costco AMEX, I have more than enough to cover the MacPro and the 30". I think I am going to go that route, but instead of ordering today, I'm going to wait until after NAB to see if anything else comes out. I've already waited this long, whats another 10 days? If nothing is updated at NAB, I'm not waiting until WWDC, I'm ordering it either Sunday the 15th, or Monday the 16th!