to all DJs with 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kryptonitejesus, Mar 23, 2011.

1. kryptonitejesus macrumors member

Be careful analyzing your tracks in Serato, it's analyzes a track per virtual core so it's doing 8 simultaneously and my CPU is up to 87 degrees.

Just giving a warning, I don't think I want to analyze all 22,828 of my tracks at a time, don't think 85 degrees sustained for a couple hours is a good idea... (it's at 263 songs and it's been 5 minutes)

Does anyone know any way I can limit how much CPU this program is using so it doesn't bottleneck my processor to its' limits that way I can leave this thing sit for hours doing what it needs to do without frying my CPU?

2. bastienvans macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. I use Traktor Pro but haven't had the time to transfer everything to my mbp.

Just put it in the fridge while it's analyzing every tracks. :D

3. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

I wish I could, I think I only let it go to 500 on 2 separate occasions... eek. I have 21,000 songs left to analyze :(

4. trevtech macrumors newbie

Weird...mine never even broke 70C when doing the initial analyze. Eight threads ran nonstop. Granted I only analyzed a little over 1000 tracks, but the temp spiked to high 60's, and stay there for the 15-20 minutes it took to finish. I'm on a 2.0ghz 15".

Which CPU are you running?

Speaking of Serato, the only issue I've had is Kernal Panics when the USB is removed with Serato running. The guys at Serato Are aware. Classic example of hardware being ahead of software.

5. wct097 macrumors 6502

Why do you think 85* for hours on end is bad for your computer?

6. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Not sure... just a thought, figured 85 to 88 degrees sustained over a couple hours probably isn't that great for the computer.

7. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

It's fine, intel processors are spec'ed up to shy over 100c :)

8. darkeartg macrumors regular

don't worry man, it'll be fine. I've played starcraft for longer

9. iAmLegend macrumors regular

iAmLegend

Don't they test these machines in extreme temps for long periods of time?

I'm pretty sure your computer is safe. Just don't set it down on a table made of wax.

10. TxdoHawk macrumors member

What this guy said. You have very little to worry about, especially in a world of thermal throttling and forced heat-induced shutdowns.

This reminds me though, I need to finally get my Traktor Kontrol S4 sent out to get the headphone jack fixed...

11. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Nice, how's that Kontrol S4? I want to pick up a Maschine and eventually move my operations over to Traktor, currently on Serato ITCH with my dual Numark V7's.

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

lol

13. TxdoHawk macrumors member

I really like it. A little peeved that the update that enables timecode support would run me another $130 or so, but in NI's defense S4 owners are getting a free Traktor upgrade. I just wish they threw in a view where the timelines were stacked on top of each other, while they were stealing Serato features for the new version. ;)

14. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, it looks like a nifty little compact tool that's for sure, I watched some guy on Ustream put it to work right after it came out, I was impressed with what it can do.

I know I'm gonna be hung by my neck for this but, check out my track I just produced and let me know what you think. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDeVH0jD5T0)

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Lol @ "just don't set your computer down on a table made of wax"

Lol lol

Ok don't worry I'm sure he probably won't...

16. kryptonitejesus thread starter macrumors member

You never know, I might go to pick up my laptop and it might bring the desk up with it. :D