To all of you iPhone-in-your-pocket users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Icarus73, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Icarus73 macrumors regular

I currently have a Blackberry Curve (8330m). I should (and I say should because I ordered from AT&T) be getting my first iPhone soon.

I keep my blackberry in my pocket all day without a case and after a year and a half of this, there's quite a bit of dust below the screen. That is, between the screen and the protective plastic. Presumably, it's from lint/dust in my pocket that gets inside the phone.

My question is, does this same thing happen with the iPhone? I remember steve saying something about the screen being fused to the glass in the new iPhone 4...I didn't know if this would help with the dust issue.

I could get a case for it, but I'd rather not I think as they all seem to take away from the aesthetic appeal of the iPhone....and the bumpers are overpriced.

Thanks

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Keep it in your pocket. It will be fine.

Apparently, the 3GS was improved from the 3G in that it didn't get as much dust under the screen, and the 4 is supposed to be nearly impervious to this problem.

BUT, the 3G was supposed to be the worst. I did get a lot of dust under my screen at one point, but that was after over a year of in and out of my pocked about 20 times a day. It turns out it was really easy to take the phone apart and clean the dust out myself. (It was out of warranty)

Everything I've heard says the two pieces are fused in the iPhone 4, though, so it should be even less of an issue.

I plan on keeping it in my left pocket, as I have done with every iPod and iPhone I've ever had. As long as you don't put anything else in that pocket and are careful, you'll probably never have a scratch on it.

3. bassjunky macrumors regular

From carrying my 3GS in my pocket for a year now without a case, I have quite a bit of dust under the screen. I certainly prefer not having a case, but the dust does suck.

I read the way the new screen for iP4 is designed, dust should not be as much as a problem. I'm hoping this is true as I don't really want to use a case.

4. musr macrumors newbie

I've had my iPhone iPhone 3GS screen replaced twice for dust since I got it at launch last year, and it's already got dust in it again right now.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying and I don't understand why decent design can't avoid this problem.

5. bub macrumors member

I carry the 3G in my pocket & in areas of my purse that get a lot of dust/dirt/eyeliner shavings/etc in them and I don't have any dust under the screen. I didn't even know that was an issue.

6. Icarus73 thread starter macrumors regular

ha! that's funny. I keep my phone in my left pocket with nothing else every day too.

thanks for the replies. I'll probably go without a case in my pocket then. I'm sure i can order a replacement glass/screen kit from ifixit if it gets too awful before I upgrade again.

7. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

Also, if there are any gaps where dust could probably get in, a bumper will cover those gaps so you wont get dust in the phone.

8. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Remember - the new screen is actually bonded to the glass, so there shouldn't be any gap between the glass and the display to collect dust.

9. noobinator macrumors 601

I had my 3GS in my pocket for a year with no dust.

10. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Oh, by the way, the Apple Store will replace or repair the screen if it gets dust under it, so if you are planning to have the phone for more than one year, you might want to get the extension on AppleCare.

You can get AppleCare for about half price on Amazon and Ebay, and you can still buy it up to a year after you get your phone if you want to wait.

If I had known I could get an extra year for half the price, I would have done it. My 3G would have still been under warranty. For about $35, it's a no-brainer. Even if you have to replace your earbuds once in the second year, it's almost paid for itself.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I carry my smartphones in my pockets all the time. Since every brand I know of collects pocket lint, I use a thin leather sleeve. This is fast & easy to remove, and keeps the phone clean as new.

12. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I think it is impossible (and I don't use this term lightly) to get dust under the iPhone 4's screen. There is no space between the screen and the LCD. It's glued to it. Read the iFixIt teardown or watch the WWDC keynote.

13. Mfear macrumors member

same here..except not in my purse because i'm a guy.. but it's always in my pocket and i dont use a case..no dust

14. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Given that Apple keeps refining the design to alleviate issues with previous models, this sounds correct.

When the mic button on my earbuds stopped working, they replaced them for free under warranty. I asked if I could keep them, since they still worked for listening, and he said no, because they send them back to Apple so they can diagnose what went wrong, and improve on that in the next revision.

I actually believe that is true. I think all the failed parts go back to Apple, and they know that dust under the screen was a big issue, so I'm sure they've been working on a solution.

15. ianray macrumors 6502

I keep my iPhone 3GS in my pocket without any kind of case. After almost a year, there is no dust under the screen -- but some occasional fluff in the dock connector ;)

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is a good time to bring up the fact that if you keep your phone in your pocket, you may have your mic button or mic on your earbuds stop working.

In most cases, this is not the earbuds, but in fact, there is a large ball of lint in your headphone jack. Shut the phone down completely, and gently fish around in your headphone jack with a paper clip. Chances are, you'll pull out a giant lint ball, and your earbuds will work perfectly again.

17. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Happened to my first 3G. Applecare replaced it, but it was from lint getting into the headphone jack, they thought. It does happen. :(