To All The 7" Naysayers...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wirelessmacuser, Sep 20, 2010.

1. seajay96 macrumors 6502

i'll buy it if it makes it to the store...but, not holding my breath

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

So you've never seen an analyst report that was pure B.S. before? I would say most of them are. I still say that Apple is not going to do a 7" model.

3. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

If they release a 7 inch tablet, I would buy it. I don't think they can abandon the current sizes because so many people are happy with them but I could see them releasing a slightly smaller version at a lower price point so they can compete (if any other tablets ever get released that is). And if they were able to keep the resolution the same between the 7 inch and 9.7 inch it would quiet people about the retina display on an iPad.

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

They won't abandon the current size. I do think they will come out with a 7" device, but I don't think it will be until about the same time as a iPad v3 in 2012.

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

As someone who is thinking about buying an iPad, I'm torn on how I feel about the 7 inch size.

On one hand it might be nice at times to have something smaller and lighter... but on the other hand, it won't fit in my pocket so I can't have it with me at all times. So... if I have to carry it separately, it might as well be slightly larger, right?

I don't know. Like I said, I'm torn. :)

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

In the pictures of the current Samsung tab 7" it's basically half the size of the current iPad screen. There is no way I'd buy a device in that form factor. If I want small I'll use my iPhone. I want the iPad as a notebook replacement for most tasks and 7" is just too small.

7. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

So an "analyst" on the Internet says something and you take it to heart.

8. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This guy sounds like he compiled a bunch of Macrumor threads a basically spoon fed everyone what they wanted to hear....

9. Cander macrumors 6502

10. pizz macrumors regular

Im holding off buying a tablet untill i see the 7" version come out. Just seems to me the current ipad is too big. i dont intend to only use it stuck home on my couch.

In contrast I find the current ipod touch screen to be too small. A 7" or even a 5" is a nice compromise between size and portability. Apple will release a 7" ipad I have no doubt. They dont dont want to get one-up'd by their competitors.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I was really hoping for a 4" iPhone 4.

Oh well.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

13. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Ugh, I'm SOOOO tired of everyone going nuts based on SPECULATION and RUMORS....

Get excited or not when we see ACTUAL RELEASED PRODUCT... Until then, what's the point in getting all nuts, pointing fingers, crying "YAY" or "Boo"?

If you feel the need/desire for a 7" or "retina" display or whatever, FINE, but until you hear Apple give out a honest to god actual press release, don't get your hopes up for it.

14. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Honestly, it seems like speculation gone wild.

This bit sounds plausible, but then comes the sucker punch:

This statement ignores the facts that laptops and tablets are completely different - the former is a mobile computer meant for efficient production, whilst the latter for efficient and comfortable consumption. It is true that iPad sales have deeply cut into netbook territory (seriously, netbooks were never useful with their tiny keyboards and often inadequate specs) but I don't see them posing a threat to Apple's own products.

I think that the number of people who won't buy an Apple laptop because of the iPad is probably very very low. On the other hand, the number of people that would be pissed at the current size iPad being discontinued "in favour" of a smaller model will probably be rather huge.

There's three things that you need to remember when it comes to analysts
    1) you don't need any qualifications to be called one
    2) even a blind man will hit a bullseye if he throws enough darts
    3) the first part in the word analyst is anal

15. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

One point the article makes that I hadn't thought about is that producing both sizes would make deciding how many to produce much more difficult. I don't think anyone really knows whether 7" or 10" will be the most popular size, especially if the tablets are quite similar otherwise. So if Apple does produce both sizes they run the risk of not being able to make enough of one size while having extra stock of the other. Settling on one size or the other would make life much easier.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah you can really trust an article which claims

If they can't get basic facts right why are you giving the article any credence at all?

Move on folks, nothing to see here :rolleyes:

17. blomma macrumors member

blomma

Look, analysts are the modern equivalent to monkeys typing randomly. Sure enought now and then they will get it right, but not because they are logically analyzing the facts but thanks to pure dumb luck. So do yourself a favor and just ignore anything you read or hear from an analyst.

18. b.c. macrumors 6502

I think the above just about sums it up about most "analysts" - contrary to what people seem to believe, they have no actual official inside info, they're just paid to guess.

and it seems this particular "analyst" referred to in the OP's article, Ashok Kumar, has a particularly bad track record at guessing what Apple is going to do...

19. pjcforpres2020 macrumors regular

Yup, anytime and "analysis" says something, I remind people of the WSJ guy that has been claiming a Verizon iPhone will be coming out for 3 years now... every July he writes his article, citing inside sources, suppliers, yada yada yada... every year, January comes and goes, and no Verizon iPhone.

20. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

These days, I don't believe ANY rumors until I see an actual Press release FROM APPLE. There is just too much speculation, too many people claiming to have inside information, sources, etc.

Besides, knowing Steve Jobs he can change his mind about the specs on something 3 days before release...

21. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Gruber ripped this guy’s track record apart on Daring Fireball. I would like to know how these people get such high profile jobs.

My favorite:

"This is the same Ashok Kumar who on 12 October 2009 issued a “research report” asserting:

“Sales of iPhone through China Unicom, to state it mildly, have been disappointing. Volumes since launch have run at a fraction of stated goals.”

The iPhone did not go on sale through China Unicom until 15 October 2009

:D

I don’t think Apple will start fragmenting the iPad line until sales decline.

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Yes, for wirelessmacuser, feel like reading this?

http://daringfireball.net/2010/09/kumar_track_record