To All The Haters!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ashVID, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ashVID macrumors regular

A buddy told me that the iPhone was getting slammed over here and so it seems. I cannot remember any technology that had a hyped release that didnt have a negative reaction in "user groups." From the PSP, to the Xbox360, reports of hardware failures run rampant, broken screens, power bricks burning down houses, lawsuits inferred, irate people with unrealistic expectations and over critical observations. Even when the hardware performs flawlessly like the Wii, the haters come to talk about the shortage of units and how you will ruin your TV by throwing a controller thru it.

We love a trainwreck dont we? Why not grease the tracks a little? Bottom line, there is no problem with activation... there is no problem with the hardware. Most the "issues" are really user preference things that, if demanded en masse, will likely be addressed. Speaker doesnt work? Hey buddy, PULL THE PLASTIC OFF and turn up the volume. My local Apple store says this has solved EVERY complaint so far.

Activation problems? Talk to your current provider, THEY are most likely the problem or did you bother to actually READ the disclaimers and information or just click next? Most every activation issue is not the fault of Apple OR ATT. If you are on a group plan, you must enter the social of the MAIN account holder, etc. etc. etc.

There are bound to be hardware failures and on a hyped launch when you are selling a MASSIVE amount of product, a 0.5% failure or problem rate can get skewed to look like a huge problem. Let's say they sold 1,000,000 phones yesterday (prolly less than half that) and let's pretend 1 out of 100 has some sort of problem. That is 10,000 pissed off people heading to the internet to talk trash all at the same time. If the Motorola Waifer Phone sells 1,000,000 in a YEAR at the same failure rate, the problems get spread out over a year and dont seem nearly as bad.

My experience? The Apple Store in my town is brand new, yesterday was the grand opening and over 1500 people were lined up at 6pm. I was busy but heard they would stay open until midnight. A friend called me at 11:00 and said they were open and had tons of phones so I stopped by and picked one up. I threw it on to charge overnight and read the manual. This morning I plugged it in (already had the new itunes) to me PC, yes PC, and started the process. I knew to enter my wifes social as she is the master account holder on our plan. Click, click, check, click. Done. Within 60 seconds I got an email, clicked on that and voila. Within 3 minutes of plugging in my phone, it was up and running. Took another 10 or so to sync everything and it works perfect.

There are some things I want updated (ability to import favs from Firefox, better email options for SPAM, etc. etc.) but they will come in time. I am coming off a very nice HTC Hermes phone, the only thing I will miss is 3G speed but the iPhone is so much easier to use and better to look at.

If you dont have one and want to wait, no prob but if you want one, dont let these "reports" discourage you. Most people are out using their iPhones and enjoying them.

ash =o)

2. mac-er macrumors 65816

Amen. I hope the reason Sprint is taking so long to release my number to AT&T is because they cannot handle the influx of ports.

3. mashoutposse macrumors 6502

I don't get the impression that the iPhone is being 'slammed' here. Most people seem to like/love it (myself included).

Most people simply realize that it is not perfect and are pointing out the faults. Even with the problems, it's still the best phone ever IMO. I can't think of a single phone on the market with which I would be happy in its place.

4. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

AMEN well said..........I LOVE IT.......People are expecting way way to much from this device and will never be happy EVER.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

While I agree that the tons of :mad: :mad: :mad: OMG Apple is going downhill this is the wurst produckt I ever pwnd!!1111 threads are juvenile...

It is also notable that every time Apple has a new product, and people have problems with it, there's always a chorus of "stop the hating," which inevitably comes from people who have not had any problems, and who therefore feel that none of the problems other people had are legitimate.

Some of the problems other people had are their own fault. Some of them are Apple's fault. Some of them are AT&T's fault. Some of them are someone else's fault. But be considerate of people who are having trouble and asking for help... otherwise, complaining about "haters" is hypocritical....

[​IMG]

6. ashVID thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe not by and large but the minority is vocal, I saw threads talking about lawsuits, and lots of complaints that were either known features (or lack thereof) or user error issues. When you hit the water cooler at work on Monday, trust me, the haters will have made enough noise to ensure you hear about it.

Bottom line is that when technology is involved, the early adopter will always be a Beta tester at some level. I generally wait for v2 of things but I caught the fever...

ash =o)

I dont disagree. Some have legit problems. I noted that with this much product sold in this short amount of time, there will be issues. I am sure there are speakers that are broken but I bet 90%+ of all complaints about the speaker are user error and/or ignorance. Same with activation. When the PSP came out, I got a great unit, no problems at all but my 360 was one of the freezing overheating units. I have been on both sides of the fence but I feel that in all these cases, the problems have been grossly overstated and almost immediately corrected/addressed.

ash =o)

7. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i think some iphone fan boys need to chill. i honestly have yet to see an iphone hater (i.e. a person that would bash the iphone w/o valid reasons) on MR, so perhaps your definition of hater is too sensitive. however, i've seen too many iphone fan boys dissing folks who have expressed their somewhat negative opinions on the iphone.

the bottom line is that like any apple products, the iphone is great for some but not for everyone. why label folks that offer constructive criticisms?

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Actually this guy really doesn't like it, although that's just what he's like. As admin of the forum, I'd recommend you join up and express your opinion on that thread if you feel otherwise about the iPhone. :D :D

9. ashVID thread starter macrumors regular

I am no fanboy, not even close. I am format agnostic, I believe there is no best OS, I have 3 Macs and 3 PCs and spend most my time in a Windows (XP NOT VISTA) environment.

"Haters" is an easy word to get, I could have said, "detractors" "negative spinners" whatever. Look at the first couple pages of the forum, many of the titles and comments are hardly constructive.

"Second biggest mistake in Apple history"
    "things that absolutely suck about the iphone"
    "Major flaw with iPhone"
    "did apple test the phone with idiots?"
    "ATT network flat out sucks"
    "class action lawsuit"

Just a quick perusal brought those up...

ash =o)

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Do we really need another haters thread? :confused:

There seem to be enough people around the nation that love Cingular's bad network and the limitation of the iPhone to go around. The news and media is already swamped with good reports. Let us 'haters' give people the truth about the situation... and not fanboy hype.

11. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

imho, some of the concerns that those threads brought up (i.e. no GPS) are rather valid. what make those threads pointless and hardly constructive are comments that the iphone fan boys have made.

12. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

My Reasons For "Hating" iPhone:

1: The hype surrounding the device is / has been a bit unbearable. It is a great product and I love the concept. It is not the second coming of the Messiah. This:

[​IMG]
    Reuters

... is a reaction that should be reserved for rock concerts and sports. Instead I dunno whether to laugh or cry at how pathetic this is. And I understand most of you who want this product are not media whores or profiteers like the guys that waited in lines for a long time, but the image this portrays is moderately disturbing. :)

2: It is a cellphone and like all cellphones [and BTW I blame all of you for not standing up with me against these BS "contracts"] it is tied to a contract. Even more discouraging, you cannot even use the non-cellphone features of the $500 piece of hardware without shelling out monthly payments. Which begs the question, what is the $500 really for? The "rights" to pay monthly to use the device? This concept works with other phones that don't double as an iPod or PDA, but if I were through using it someday with AT&T I would at least like to use the iPod/PDA-like features instead of having a "locked-out" $500 paperweight.

The Bottom Line: When Apple releases a full-screen iPod device that is pretty much an iPhone without the "phone" I will jump all over it. I just find the hype obnoxious.

13. NewMacGirl macrumors regular

Some Negative Threads from Competitors??

I have my doubts about some of them...There was overwelming satisfaction at first then a lot of negative comments came in at once. Iv'e not used one unfortunately but from a neutral observer that is what it looks like..

14. ashVID thread starter macrumors regular

Yikes... should have known better. I am shocked I have not been called a shill yet. If I am a fanboy of anything it is TECH in general, not Apple or the iPhone. It was over-hyped for sure. My post was not to retort "I wish there was GPS" etc. It was a counter to the numerous threads that are exaggerating the problems that are mainly user error or outside the scope of what Apple/ATT can control (number porting).

The iPhone is far from perfect but it is to the cell phone what the iPod was to the MP3 player, an easy to use, mainstream, intuitive device. There is a lot of room for improvement as there was with the original 5GB iPod. You adopted an infant, expect to change some diapers...

ash =o)

15. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'd say there's a difference between a "concern" and "Second biggest mistake in Apple history" or "things that absolutely suck about the iphone" or "Major flaw with iPhone".

Concerns are valid. Exaggerated negativity isn't.

16. PhantomShadowz macrumors newbie

People are like the dude in the picture (which is quite funny btw) because the US cell phone market is pure garbage. I agree, the hype was rather annoying, but it's nice to see that this might put some charge into the United States mobile market for better phones.

17. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

I started laughing all over again when I noticed the video camera in his other hand. :D

18. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

Things have been quite tame on MR.

You should go to Digg or some other less Apple centric site.

The smell of fear is everywhere.

19. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I have to disagree with you here. I absolutely LOVE people like this. The people that show that kind of excitement (as pictured) are the ones that stand out in this world, rather than the haters looking at us in line. I mean come on, our line (including myself) cheered like crazy when the Apple employees tore down the black cloth covering the Apple Store. That, my friend, is what makes me even more proud to be a Mac user.

Nothing else compares, at least in the world of computing. You don't see Microsoft fanboys cheering for the Zune.

But to each his own.

20. Mr Fusion macrumors 6502a

Mr Fusion

Well yeah... it's the Zune. And like it that comparison is really poor. :)

Precisely! :apple:

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, pish-tush. It has nothing to do with that. People are like that picture because for a moment, they feel like they're part of an event, and it makes them feel important, like a celebrity. For a moment, that kid was interesting enough to get photographed and run by Reuters. Let him have his moment. Why are rock stars or any other event somehow okay to behave this way at, but not this one? Let him have his moment.

22. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

ashVID,

There is nothing wrong with what you are trying to communicate in your thread. But, there are many dynamics at work here.

There are a group of people making legitimate complaints, at least insofar as they are based on true events. They range from observations, to childish rants, and all points in between. They will have reader/poster support from those who believe they should have a forum for sharing information, seeking help and airing their grievances.

Then there is another group. I was reading the 'initial reactions' thread last night. I have pretty much stayed away from the iPhone discussions. I thought this might be interesting however. I was pleased to see so much positive feedback. It seemed like the activation issues where the only negatives (some being quite vocal). I also knew that starting today, the anti-Apple propaganda machine would start in full-force. It is so bloody predictable, it is actually funny.

Right after a major announcement, a new product release or an upgrade, the haters (as you call them) come out like maggots. It is a straight smear campaign. They will also group slander anyone trying to interfere with their efforts (as you have seen).

I also think there are some individuals, who are not part of an organized effort, but just like to criticize Apple. But, who knows, they may just like to criticize everyone. Know-it-alls are of that ilk.

Finally, there are just good MR members who roll with all this, do not want confrontations, and are here to be part of the MR community. They are often critical (usually in a nice way) of anyone causing dissension, regardless of whether they are actually right.

So, when you make a post like you did, and when you did, you are inviting a maelstrom of retaliation. I am not suggesting you stop. I hope you do not. But, you have to develop thick-skin. Name calling is not allowed except when someone calls you a fanboy. At first I did not like that, until I remembered; when the side opposite resorts to name calling and personal insults, they are responding from a weak position.

I also make posts like yours. Needless to say, I am not a popular person. But I figure for the amount of (hopefully) helpful information I post here, if this is my biggest sin, it is worth it. What I have learned to do is not argue. I make my point and just move on. I often do not revisit. Many MR members do not believe there is an anti-Apple, smear campaign happening here. There is no doubt of its existence. People have come forward and confessed to taking money from MS, to Blog anti-Apple stories and post propaganda on websites/message boards. Others were approached and they blew the whistle.

So, when people cry "conspiracy theory", I think, what 'theory'? They have been caught at it. If one reads some of the litigation testimony from the Netscape trials, this activity is well documented and was a significant tactical effort. This is how they conduct business. So, it it is known that a propaganda campaign is afoot. One of the known targets are Apple message boards. Where does MR rate in size? Amongst the largest I would guess. It is known from past history, the campaigns are extensive. Why would anyone think MR has been spared?

Many people have a "it can't happen here" attitude. For others it is more of a "I don't believe it, shut up" (denial). But, I find it very easy to detect. I have some background in this. All you can do is post your opinions and maybe the light will turn-on for someone else.

23. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

To All the Apple/iPhone Haters

So, you dislike the iPhone or can't get it activated?

Tough luck dude. Go cry me a river.

Seriously, I am getting rather sick of seeing all the posts complaining about the iPhone or activation.

Just for your information, problems such as activation or porting are inherent in purchase of ANY cellphone -- so quit blaming Apple and AT&T.

If you don't like it, simple, don't use it and just return it. No one is forcing you to buy it or use it.

Don't go around badmouthing Apple and the iPhone.

The folks at Apple probably pull countless all-nighters and made tremendous personal sacrifices to pull this thing off and deliver this revolutionary product to the market. And yet, it seems that all many of you can do is whine and whine and whine.

I am an Apple shareholder and I cannot even get my hands on an iPhone because I am overseas. So you should count yourself lucky that you got to buy it.

24. iprincess macrumors member

dude, cry me a river. if the device has problems, people NEED to voice it so that they will get resolved. grow up! people are allowed to have opinions. i personally LOVE the thing and you couldn't pry it away from me if you tried, but it's a first generation device and there are going to be some hiccups along the way.

25. zgh1999 macrumors 6502

Like I said, you are going to run into the same problems with all other phones.

Congrats on being able to turn a revolutionary product into what seems like a failure.

According to you, it is all negative and nothing is positive.

Do you work for Redmond?