To All The Naysayers

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadPublisher, Feb 23, 2011.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

For the past two weeks I've seen a ton of negative, anti-Apple, iPad hating, "you've all been brainwashed" comments from people blowharding about how the iPad 2 will be a minor update, a weak offering compared to "other 2011 tablets" etc.

I know its fun to bash Apple, there's plenty of that going around at all times. But if you stop and look at facts and the way Apple tends to do things, I doubt very seriously that the iPad 2 will be a minor tweak or slight spec bump. Take a second to look back... just as the first iPad was making its way to people, it had been mentioned that Apple's team was already on the iPad 2. That means they'd had nearly a full year to prep this offering. Surely months of feedback and millions of user comments later have played into the second coming of the iPad, and whatever it is they drop next week, it's not going to be a P.O.S. as the haters love to promise. We can all rest assured that they didn't spend their ten months (or whatever it was) on cameras either, that was probably a given from the get-go, and their time has been spent elsewhere.

Is it going to be the spec leader for the year? Might not be. Apple is known to hold back some, I'll concede that. But its done with a little more thought than most think, and whatever we do get, it will be a nice upgraded edition.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

People just have unrealistic expectations, that's all. They want the next versions of idevices to be the be all end all of all devices. Problem is, not only is that a pipe dream, but if such a product existed, where would the company who made it go after that?

3. Davichi macrumors 6502

Are you complaining about people who complain in this forum? Is that what this thread about?

4. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're right about that. There has to be something we want out of the iPad 3, or they're done from here.

5. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

Ha ha... not exactly. Just thought I'd provide some reassuring words that *I* think the nextgen iPad isn't going to suck as much as some thing it is going to suck. But sure, there was a hint of whining in there somwehere. :)

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Oh .... okay. We're all feeling much better, now. :rolleyes:

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I see these all the time too OP. I wish all of these type of threads would go straight to the wasteland. There are so many new ones that pop up each day and each one tries to claim that "We are just discussing blah blah" No, just trolling is more like it.

8. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

With all the competition finally coming out with there models soon, and unless your dependent on the apple Eco system, you would be wise to look at ALL the features of each devise to see if it suites YOUR needs. Not apples needs. No, I am not bashing the iPad. Am using mine now. But unless apple blows it with a small bump, I'll be looking elsewhere. Hopefully they do a good job. But the others are mighty enticing. The only one I want to compare is the HP/palm tablet. Others might like the Xoom. But your turning a blind eye if you don't compare. Yeah, some folks go ever board slamming just to start an argument. I for one don't lock myself to one brand. Personally, of all of the tablets coming out, web OS has the closest chance of big sales like the iPad. Provided HP doesn't screw up the launch with BS requirements like the Xoom has. Only time will tell.

9. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Good post. I agree, it's good to be open minded and check out the competition.

10. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Well it is going to suck, if there´s just speed bumps, better speaker, lighter design... and I don´t see (based on the rumors) anything revolutionary or even evolutionary coming with iPad 2, just no brainer lame and boring updates.

11. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Hand on heart, I don't think you're going to get a massive jump in specs... but frankly it doesn't really need one either. Dual core processor, bit more RAM, camera, improvements to the screen (not resolution just quality) and a form factor change would be more than enough to keep it competitive this year.

The key is going to be iOS 5. Apple did a pretty good job of giving us a tablet OS version of iOS first time out but they've now had a year (or more) to tweak it about and there's some general elements of iOS (hellooooooo notifications) that are due for a rethink. We may have already seen a glimpse of it with the four and five finger gestures trialed in the first beta of 4.3. If they do a relatively large jump on the software side as well as the above hardware changes the iPad is going to remain the standout tablet for a good long while for the majority of people.

But let's face it, even if Apple brought out a machine that could run Crysis on a retina display at 60fps that weighed half what the current iPad does and had a battery life measured in days there would STILL be spec nerds complaining about something (I'd guess... lack of USB port). By all means buy the tablet that's right for you (if you ever buy solely on the brand you should probably reconsider your purchasing habbits) but at the same time recognise that what's right for you isn't necessarily what's right for everyone...

12. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Apple always does small incremental spec bumbs and I don't see them changing now.
    Think of all the iPods and iPhones and you'll have a pretty good idea of what the next iPad will be like.
    I usually skip one generation before I buy, so I got the first iPad and will wait for the 3rd generation before I buy again.
    The original iPad still rocks and I'm using it every day.
    I did this with all my i devices.

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I'm doing the same I will upgrade my iPad on Odds and my iPhones on Evens.

14. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

no one even wanted an iPad (or any other tablet) until Apple made one. Truth. They've proved they're able to innovate beyond expectations and I guess when it looks like they might not go too far beyond expectations, people label that as incremental

15. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

that story was soooo cute. By no means are you considered a fanboy using a Mac forum to post an editorial on how much you love Apple. :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, this topic has been beat to death already. I'm not sure why you just didn't add your 2 cents there. Regardless, your opinion isn't original.. other people share it too, as seen on those other threads about the same topic.

16. poloponies, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

poloponies macrumors 68030

I still don't get the thought processes in that statement. Hold back based on what? Are they supposed to put everything available in? They are not Samsung or Motorola in that they have a broad spectrum of related products and they need to consider how each release will impact its other products. It them makes strategic decisions to avoid cannibalising sales. You may call that "holding back" but it's fairly essential to maintaining its business lines. Perhaps if they upgraded every item at the same time each year they could offer the latest features in everything (cost permitting) but in the meantime any feature they add has to make financial and strategic sense. Hell, the $499 price point they hit on the iPad was a fairly impressive feature that a lot of people tend to overlook. Look at all the headaches Notion Ink has been dealing with on a tablet that has yet to live up to its promise or sustain itself on profitability.

17. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

We also need to remember that we, the members of this board, are the minority. If the iPad 2 has a front facing camera, 95% of the general public will be like "OH MY GOD THATS SO COOL blah blah blah", because they haven't been following the rumors like we have, and they don't know it's a forgone conclusion like we do. A camera seems so logical to everyone on this board but it'll be a shocker to people who don't follow this stuff.

Upgrades always seem incremental to us because we follow the rumors for months and we basically know what's coming on release day. So unless Apple does something above what we already know they're going to do, we're disappointed. But on release day, the general public thinks the new iPad is the best thing ever because all the new features are new developments that they never saw coming because they don't follow these things.

Bottom line: I think the next iPad is going to be a very nice upgrade, but I think very few people on this board will see it as such. When we've known about a camera for months, it's hard for us to see this as a new feature when it's announced, because in our minds the feature is months old news. So I expect a lot of people on this board to be disappointed at the announcement, even though I think it will be a good upgrade. The rumor mill just puts unrealistic expectations in people's minds and then they are upset when Apple doesn't deliver the rumored but unconfirmed features.

Regardless of what anyone says the iPad 2 is going to be a massive hit and sell 10's of millions of units, so I don't think Apple is too worried about upsetting the minority that is us, people who follow this stuff daily.

18. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This.
    I've said it so many times, that like it or loathe it, Apple has the average consumer in mind, not the tech geeks like us, who make up the overwhelming minority.
    Of course, I would love it, if Apple suddenly maxed out on specs, as well as the user experience, but that just isn't how Apple rolls for the most part.