To all those using the mini as a media center

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gixxerfool, Nov 23, 2008.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I am starting to look at HDTV's and will want to hook up my Mini to it for the use of a monitor and possible upgrade to media center down the road. My question is this, what display input type are you using? I want to make sure that I get the features I need before I buy a new TV. Thanks in advance.
    -GF

2. marklight macrumors 6502

you can use either hdmi - which most new tvs have many of - or dvi. both carry the same digital video signal. you will need to run the audio through a separate cable. just make sure you get a tv that has 1:1 pixel aspect ratio, sometimes called pc mode.

3. Oneness macrumors regular

I have a TV that has both HDMI input and VGA input. The TV also has a PC mode that I use when watching the Mini.
    I use the VGA input because whenever I use the HDMI input the Mini's display output changes from 1920x1080 to 1920x1080i and the TV shows the desktop with about 1-2 inches of black around it. (the VGA displays perfectly)

4. akm3 macrumors 68020

Yes, if your TV can't handle the input ratio without overscanning it, you are stuck with either 3-5% of the image lost on all sides, or black bars all around the picture.

My TV (JVC 1080p HD-ILA) is one that can't, AND I can't use the VGA input either...so that is frustrating.

5. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

On the audio cable, what type did you use? In the owners manual ti's listed as an optical digital audio output. I was under the impression that optical was always fiber optic.

So you get it with both inputs?

Thanks in advance guys.
    -GF

6. Digitalflick macrumors regular

7. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

8. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

So in my thinking, I was wondering when I do get my setup together, will the mini automatically upconvert my standard DVDs or will I need a third party app? Same for DTS and Dolby Digital, is that all native or is there a preferred application for this? I won't be ripping the discs to the HDD, I would be using the hard copies. Sorry about the questions, first time doing this, just trying to get everything squared away before I get started.

9. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

10. dbwie macrumors 6502

if......

If you are concerned with upconversion of your DVDs to 1080p, and have no interest in ripping your DVDs, then the best option is to simply get an upconverting DVD player. They cost $40 - $80, much cheaper than a Mac Mini.

11. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I already own the Mini, thats the reason I ask> I have no problem spending the money on the upconvert, but if my MIni already does this then it's one less component in my setup, I like simplicity in my setups.

Thank you for your response.

12. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Come on guys, 731 views and NO ONE can answer my question????:confused:

13. OCraised macrumors newbie

You do realize that an upconverting DVD player only upconverts to 540p .. Instead of the traditional 480p. I really don't see the need to worry about whether your Mac mini will upconvert or not. It won't. It's still a DVD, if you want a better picture than you are stuck with buying Blu-ray. Which of course would be another thing you would have to add.

On a side note. Your TV, whether it be a 1080p Hi-def set, or a 720p Hi-def set... will also upconvert to it's resolution.

Hope that helps and wasn't lost in translation.

14. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Actually I didn't know that, thank you cause that is the kind of info I am after. The reason I am questioning as to whether my Mini will do it or not is while I do have plans to buy a Blu-Ray player all my movies are currently standard versions right now. If my Mini will do the job till I can scrape together the cash for a proper Blu-Ray player (the tv will be soaking up the extra cash for now) then great. Otherwise I have to start considering a upconvert til I get my BR. I hope that makes sense...

15. OCraised macrumors newbie

You will be more than happy with your mini playing your SD dvd's for the time being. Save up your cash and buy a Blu-ray player when you can. They are finally starting to come down in price.

16. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Thank you very much for your responses and info. I cant wait to get BR.