Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Bloody hell Dave, that's a bit premature. We first need to know...

a) does it actually exist or is it, y'know, merely a MacRumor

b) is it a proper Mini or is it a function-follows-form shiny black haemorrhoid cushion with zero upgradeability

Cape Dave

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Bloody hell Dave, that's a bit premature. We first need to know...

a) does it actually exist or is it, y'know, merely a MacRumor

b) is it a proper Mini or is it a function-follows-form shiny black haemorrhoid cushion with zero upgradeability

True, true. But the thought of the possibility of an ACTUAL rumor as opposed to all the previous rumors made me crazy!

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
It's just a rumor so far. There is no proof that a new Mini is coming yet.

I have no plans to return my Mini I bought a few days ago regardless.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm one of those that sprung for something else (am waiting on the last few parts to build a Hack Mini), so while I may be thinking wishfully, I'm viewing this rumour with skepticism.

It just seems like weird timing to finally release a Haswell update to the Mac Mini, so unless they've somehow scored Broadwell chips early I'm just not sure that this is true. It just doesn't seem worth it to release a Haswell Mac Mini now as it'd presumably have to keep a similar chassis (as a main benefit of Broadwell is the superior thermals), which they could have done long before now.

The rumours still lack a lot of a detail, unless you count the clear wishlisting/rampant speculation we've had up until now. I dunno, I just don't think it's worth anyone getting their hopes up, as I'd see Apple being perfectly happy to wait the few months more until Broadwell parts become available in suitable quantities.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
The October event is almost certainly for the Yosemite release. Hardware release at the same time is up for debate.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
As someone pointed out in the big Mac Mini thread, it's possible the update will just be in the same vein as the "new" iMac model; a new entry level with a MacBook Air processor. For the Mac Mini it wouldn't be a bad addition, since the saving would account for a bigger portion of the Mac Mini's cost (whereas the iMac's screen is a big portion of the entry level model's cost).

The question mark for that is how it would fit into the lineup, which still has Firewire, so it would be weird to have an entry level model with two Thunderbolt ports if the other models don't, but they could always just drop Firewire and not replace it with anything at all for the time being.

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA
The October event is almost certainly for the Yosemite release. Hardware release at the same time is up for debate.

While they will release Yosemite in October, they've already announced Yosemite and what it can do in June. It will be a pretty anti-climactic presentation to go over what was already introduced in June so there will most definitely be some hardware releases alongside Yosemite's release. What that hardware is, though, is the question.

I think they will definitely release some new iPads.

As for the mini, I think the most likely outcome is haswell update with a broadwell update the same time next year after all their other computers and laptops have been updated with broadwell sometime in February through June 2015.

Though they announced the nMP 6 months before it became available, I doubt they would do that with the mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.