To all those who recently purchased a new computer

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Cape Dave, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

so that karma would dictate a new Mac mini... Thank you! You did it! Finally! Thank you!

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Bloody hell Dave, that's a bit premature. We first need to know...

a) does it actually exist or is it, y'know, merely a MacRumor

b) is it a proper Mini or is it a function-follows-form shiny black haemorrhoid cushion with zero upgradeability

3. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

True, true. But the thought of the possibility of an ACTUAL rumor as opposed to all the previous rumors made me crazy!

4. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

It's just a rumor so far. There is no proof that a new Mini is coming yet.

I have no plans to return my Mini I bought a few days ago regardless.

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

What are you talking about? The new Mac mini is almost certainly coming!

7. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

8. haravikk macrumors 65816

I'm one of those that sprung for something else (am waiting on the last few parts to build a Hack Mini), so while I may be thinking wishfully, I'm viewing this rumour with skepticism.

It just seems like weird timing to finally release a Haswell update to the Mac Mini, so unless they've somehow scored Broadwell chips early I'm just not sure that this is true. It just doesn't seem worth it to release a Haswell Mac Mini now as it'd presumably have to keep a similar chassis (as a main benefit of Broadwell is the superior thermals), which they could have done long before now.

The rumours still lack a lot of a detail, unless you count the clear wishlisting/rampant speculation we've had up until now. I dunno, I just don't think it's worth anyone getting their hopes up, as I'd see Apple being perfectly happy to wait the few months more until Broadwell parts become available in suitable quantities.

9. Cojm macrumors member

I think the new mac mini will just be a mini macpro trashcan.

10. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

The October event is almost certainly for the Yosemite release. Hardware release at the same time is up for debate.

11. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

It could very well be a silent release. Digits crossed. :p

12. haravikk macrumors 65816

As someone pointed out in the big Mac Mini thread, it's possible the update will just be in the same vein as the "new" iMac model; a new entry level with a MacBook Air processor. For the Mac Mini it wouldn't be a bad addition, since the saving would account for a bigger portion of the Mac Mini's cost (whereas the iMac's screen is a big portion of the entry level model's cost).

The question mark for that is how it would fit into the lineup, which still has Firewire, so it would be weird to have an entry level model with two Thunderbolt ports if the other models don't, but they could always just drop Firewire and not replace it with anything at all for the time being.

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

While they will release Yosemite in October, they've already announced Yosemite and what it can do in June. It will be a pretty anti-climactic presentation to go over what was already introduced in June so there will most definitely be some hardware releases alongside Yosemite's release. What that hardware is, though, is the question.

I think they will definitely release some new iPads.

As for the mini, I think the most likely outcome is haswell update with a broadwell update the same time next year after all their other computers and laptops have been updated with broadwell sometime in February through June 2015.

Though they announced the nMP 6 months before it became available, I doubt they would do that with the mini.

14. steve217 macrumors regular

steve217

You're welcome.

* it was a base i5 refurb if you're curious about what tripped sister karma.