To all whiners about iPhone X price...

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
Please take a look at the original iPhone launch keynote from 10 years ago, fast forward to 45 mins:

Apple stock price was 87.90 WHILE STEVE JOBS WAS MORE THAN HALFWAY THROUGH THE PRESENTATION. Let's say you woke up late that morning, rolled out of bed, tuned in late to the presentation, saw how great the iPhone was, and bought a modest $5000 worth of Apple stock at the instant Steve Jobs showed off the stock app.

Right now, that $5000 investment would be worth MORE THAN 64 THOUSAND DOLLARS, and that doesn't count all the dividends over the years. The annual dividend your stock now pays is MORE THAN ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR. That means YOU CAN GET A NEW IPHONE EVERY YEAR off just the dividends, in addition to increasing your principal 13x

So don't tell me iPhone is expensive, all you had to do was read the writing on the wall, buy Apple stock after the whole world knew what the iPhone was, and you'd be set with iPhones for life and much more.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
There's a lot of what ifs when you present a scenario like that.

Could say the same thing about Google.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
If there was anything I regret, it would be this. Though I couldn’t invest then anyways, so it is not so much a regret at all.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
It's not about hindsight or some crazy prediction. All you had to do was watch the presentation, see that iPhone was literally five years ahead of the competition, and buy the stock. You didn't have to be a Wall Street wizard, you didn't have to have billions of dollars, you didn't have to be a psychic, all you had to do was read the writing on the wall!

Steve Jobs said he was going to revolutionize the phone industry. All you had to do was take him at his word!! If you doubted him then it's your own fault.

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
It's not about hindsight or some crazy prediction. All you had to do was watch the presentation, see that iPhone was literally five years ahead of the competition, and buy the stock. You didn't have to be a Wall Street wizard, you didn't have to have billions of dollars, you didn't have to be a psychic, all you had to do was read the writing on the wall!

Steve Jobs said he was going to revolutionize the phone industry. All you had to do was take him at his word!! If you doubted him then it's your own fault.
It's understandable that most people didn't see the writing on the wall.

Hell, most of the captains of industry ridiculed the iPhone after the keynote.

Reactions: adam1080

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
So don't tell me iPhone is expensive, all you had to do was read the writing on the wall, buy Apple stock after the whole world knew what the iPhone was, and you'd be set with iPhones for life and much more.
I never considered iPhone back then because I was and still am with Verizon... and if memory serves iPhone was an AT&T only deal.

Still, I'm curious to know how much you invested OP... and where is your beach house?

DJosche

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2017
Please take a look at the original iPhone launch keynote from 10 years ago, fast forward to 45 mins:

Apple stock price was 87.90 WHILE STEVE JOBS WAS MORE THAN HALFWAY THROUGH THE PRESENTATION. Let's say you woke up late that morning, rolled out of bed, tuned in late to the presentation, saw how great the iPhone was, and bought a modest $5000 worth of Apple stock at the instant Steve Jobs showed off the stock app.

Right now, that $5000 investment would be worth MORE THAN 64 THOUSAND DOLLARS, and that doesn't count all the dividends over the years. The annual dividend your stock now pays is MORE THAN ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS PER YEAR. That means YOU CAN GET A NEW IPHONE EVERY YEAR off just the dividends, in addition to increasing your principal 13x

Hindsight is 20/20, please go on about how you are a billionaire from all of your 'instinctive' trades like that...oh wait...you are making a thread on MacRumors about how people need to stop complaining about a $1000 phone.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH

It absolutely is about hindsight. There are lots of futuristic products that come out they are clearly ahead of their time, but fail miserably. There was no way to know the iPhone would have the success it had.