To AppleCare or not to AppleCare, that is the question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lamina, Mar 10, 2009.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

My AppleCare will expire on March 24. I'm a bit tight on cash these days, but I can get AppleCare here in Korea for about 150,000won, which is about $130 Canadian dollars.

I had AppleCare on my old PowerBook. Should I with my MacBook? If anything goes, it will likely be the hard drive, which is easily and cheaply replaced.

I dunno. Talk me into spending the money.

2. Cboss macrumors 6502

The question is "Do you feel lucky punk?"

But to be serious you do need to ask yourself that. I've had Macs my entire life (about 5 or 6 think) and have never needed to use Apple care, at least not within the 3 year window it can be used. However, about a month ago I had a scare with my 14 month old Macbook and I was kicking myself for not buying it. In my case it turned out that my computer didn't need to be repaired ( Hurray :D ) but if I had needed to I would have been in trouble as I'm in college and money is tight for me also.

So, it's up to you. Either spend $130 dollars on something you probably won't need to use or don't buy and possibly spend hundreds or thousands of dollars if something goes wrong.

3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

One bad logic board will ruin your experience if you don't buy AppleCare. Also, I don't know if you have checked and that is the cheapest, but AppleCare for MB can be had on eBay for less than $100 US considering Live.com rebate and etc.

Every Mac I bought Apple Care for, it has paid back threefold or more.

Good luck whichever route you go.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I would get it. I've had numerous Macs in the last 5 years, and one logic board replacement for my Macbook Pro has paid for all of them.