To AppleCare or not to AppleCare!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ss.soulbeat, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ss.soulbeat macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm considering purchasing a rMBP when it gets the iNTEL Haswell update.

So, I still have some months to think and gather some opinions about this:

About every rMBP component is now soldered to the motherboard. :mad:

iFixit.com called the first Retina MacBook Pro, the 15-inch model, the “least repairable laptop yet” due to its “lack of repairability, upgradeability, and recyclability.”

In case of a component failure after the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty expires, what is the feasibility it can be repaired ?

What are the chances of a rMBP, may be repaired for a fair price, after the warranty expires ?

I'm worried that just a component failure means ending up with a brick and having to spend hard earned €€€/$$$ on another computer ! :confused:

Currently, I can only think of 2 options to, somehow, protect the investment in a rMBP:
    - Get an insurance for the duration of the ownership
    - Purchase an AppleCare Protection plan to extend the warranty for a total of 3 years.

The investment on a rMBP doesn't come cheap. Shoudn't you care of protecting your investment, considering this is the "least repairable laptop yet" ? :eek: what do you guys think ?

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'll quote myself from another thread:

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question!!:D

If it were my choice...I'd get the Applecare+.

I have it on all my Apple devices, and have never regretted spending the money on it.:D

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

That is cool, because Applecare + only comes for iPads and iPhones in the US. I don't know about other countries.

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

OOPS!:eek:

Sorry about the "+".

6. mslide macrumors 6502a

You actually have a year and some months. I would wait until the 1-year warranty is almost up before really making a decision.

7. ss.soulbeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the AppleCare for the 15" inch rMBP costs more than the new iPad mini... but how many of you guys did not worry about spending 2,000 €/$ or more on a rMBP and not subscribing the AppleCare ?

I can think of a dozen (or more) ways, I'd feel better, spending 349 €/$ on other things than AppleCare, but should rMBP Apple/3rd party hardware quality reputation be enough to justify driving this out ?

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Hardware fails. Whether or not it is yours that fails, nobody will know. It doesn't matter which manufacturer, hardware will fail.

That being said, wait until the year is up then purchase the Applecare. Put a few pounds here or there into a fund and that way when the year is up you will have enough to purchase it.

Or don't, but know that repairs can be super costly.

I would recommend it, I like the peace of mind knowing if anything goes wrong I just take it to Apple and they fix it. Apple especially since their warranty service is so great. They never look for anything to try and deny service (apart from liquid damage) and give no hassles. That can't be said about many other companies.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I had a 2010 MBP that ran beautifully for about 20 months. Then...the logic board failed. Boom, $500 if I didn't have AppleCare. I think when you're spending $2000-$2800 or more for a machine that for all intents and purposes is not user repairable in any way another $350 ($239 educational) for 3 full years of support and repair is a reasonable bet.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

AppleCare sucks. WorthAveGroup.com or SquareTrade are way better.
    Unless you just want Warranty.

11. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

12. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Yes to AppleCare, especially for the retina...it's such an unknown quantity at this point. I don't think it's even widely known how much repairs are outside of warranty (other than the battery replacement which is twice as much as non-Retina, but that should give you an indication if anything).