To be clear - historically, are rMBP's available same day as announcement (Thursday)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Uguubot, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Uguubot macrumors member

Uguubot

I'm off at work 3 hours from an Apple store, but will definitely take the time to drive down and get one on Thursday if I am likely to obtain one.

2. faythebest macrumors member

faythebest

Same question

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I think on this occasion they'll likely have a 7 day shipping leadtime. The reason I say that is the sheer secrecy behind the event and the lack of leaks.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Historically they are but there have been exceptions with non notebook macs.

5. Ma2k5 macrumors 6502a

Ma2k5

To be honest we should forget what things were like historically as - so many things influence these things that whether they did or didn't in the past, will have no correlation to how it will be this time. So many things are out of Apples control (supply wise) that it could be either way.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe there were occasions where the MBP was not available immediately, so its completely conceivable that they will not be available on the same day.

We'll find out soon enough

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

If we go by recent releases, like the 12" MacBook and the iPad Pro they will be "available" the same day, but in reality that means like 3 units per store and a small amount allotted for same day shipping, then everyone else has to wait 3 weeks for online orders. And store availability will be zero for the next 2 months. Just basing this on all of apple's horrible product launches for the past 2 years. If these come in multiple colors expect it to be even worse.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

As a U.K. Resident we don't see this, it really does depend where you are.

9. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Would it be available right after the presentation in-store? Don't know whether it's worth driving up before closing (9:30) or going up next day.

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

No idea, to be honest all this sensationalism and obsession just makes me laugh, I love my Mac but it is just a computer!!!

11. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Hardly sensationalism and obsession... Just trying to organise things. If not having to wait several weeks I will go down after the event. Geddit?

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. The MacBook was actually nearly a month wait even if you ordered the same day. Bestbuy had them in stock weeks before the apple store did.

13. Franjelisco macrumors newbie

Franjelisco

So no new shiny macbook till christmas????????????????????????

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If there no chance of Apple rolling out new MBPs for Christmas, I doubt very much they'd have a media event in October

15. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

16. jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

If the leak photo is still no show tomorrow, I personally think we can't get it "immediately"

17. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

18. Rafterman macrumors 68000

My guess is "no", because Apple really strained the supply chain for components for the iPhone 7.

19. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Re-watching the 2012 MacBook Pro announcement, Phil Schiller said that the MacBook Pro with Retina Display would start "shipping" that same day. Does anyone remember if that meant you could walk into an Apple Store that day and buy one? And if so, was it when the store opened, or when the keynote had ended?

20. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Since macOS 10.12.1 was released to the public on Monday, I believe it's safe to say that the new Macs will probably be shipping day of announcement. Good chance they can be bought in-store same day as well, or maybe Friday/Monday, but stock will probably be "limited."

21. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I think Friday because the airpods also come out at the same time.

22. Macalway macrumors 68020

Sometimes there are issues with supply chain. Happens all the time. We will know tomorrow

23. ryanbates macrumors regular

ryanbates

As someone who used to work for Apple Retail we typically always got them same day but there were a few instances where it was the next day. When the original rMBP was announced we had a ton of boxes show up to our store but we couldn't open them until the announcement was over.

We litereally sat in the back watching the announcement and as soon as it was over we cracked open the boxes.

24. jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

Can I go to store and watch with you guys? LOL

25. cullenl87 macrumors member

I expect it to be ready right after the show. It's not earlier in the week. It's on a Thursday.