To be student needs advice - MBP or 2009 MBA for the same price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kildeer, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Kildeer macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I will be attending university this summer and I need a new laptop for studying since my 2007 Macbook is having a hard time keeping up now. I don't do a lot of gaming on my computers, if it can run Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 it's fine but it's not a necessity! I know the MBP can definitely run SC2 without problems but let's keep gaming out of the picture altogether.

Thing is, I can get the current MBP or a 2009 MBA that's never been turned on for the exact same price - it's the one with 2.13 Ghz, Geforce 9400m, 128 GB SSD and 2GB RAM.

My plan with the MBA was then to install 2GB more RAM on my own. I know it'll cost a little bit more than the MBP which has 4GB standard, but I like the portability of the MBA.

If anyone would like to share their thoughts, ideas and suggestions I'd appreciate it. :)

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

If the 2009 MBA is a unibody - you can't install the 2gb on your own. I believe it is soldered on to the mainboard.

3. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

I believe it is a unibody actually.

Also, a new 11" MBA with 128 GB SSD is the same price if I can just throw that one into consideration as well. :)

4. darknite38 macrumors regular

You should mention the price of the computers so we can give you an accurate guess.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you want MBA, go with a 2010 model. The update was significant even though the CPUs are the same. Much better heat management and battery to name a couple.

Then again, if you are looking for a main computer (meaning that you don't have a desktop or another computer) the MBP might be a better choice due to upgradeability.

6. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

The price is the exact same, 8999 DKK which is about 1750 USD.

7. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

If you only have the one computer, get the MBP.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Personally, I would buy the current MBP in a heartbeat over the MBA-- the MBP will last you the next 4-5 years if you take good care of it. The MBA has one thing going for it -- size. I hope you don't mind my bringing this up, but, the MBA has a lot of appeal for people who get sore shoulders etc lugging an MBP around. If you are slight of build, you may prefer the MBA, but, for an all-around desktop replacement, go with the MBP.

9. darknite38 macrumors regular

10. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

Go for the MBP, if that will be your primary computer. Also, with the MBA I've heard that 4GB is recommended. Get the newer MBA, dont get the old. They are about to refresh, if you get the old you will be behind.

11. Thares macrumors regular

Thares

I had both MacBooks for a week or two. So, if you have to carry it around all day long, I'd definitely take the Air. If you just travel once a week, I'd say: take the Pro as it has more space on its hard drive.

Personally, I had the same dilemma. But as I noticed I don't need that portability at all, I chose a refurb iMac 27". I love that huge screen!

12. Kildeer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input folks. :) I think it'll be the MBP - that and the Air takes the same space except in thinness and weight and the latter isn't really an issue for me. :)

13. Daud macrumors regular

If the weight is not the issue for you, than MBP wins. I found personally I am more comfortable for daily hauling the MBA 13 with me. Yes, the footprint is similar, but the thin factor and weight makes it not noticable in the bag and hence it is with me all times. With MB before, I found at times I left it at home..
    BTW, check your Inbox..