To bundlebox or not for UK... Who has or decided not to?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by decson, Mar 15, 2010.

  1. decson macrumors regular

    May 15, 2009
    London, UK
    Hi all

    Ok, just had the email to say I will be receiving an email in next few days that will allow me to order tje iPad from the states.

    I have always wanted the 64gb one so the cost comes in roughly at £650 including fast delivery so that would be the tuesday or wednesday..

    Ok I remember there was a rumor from geeky something that had the 3G version coming in at that price or just over, so who has done the deed or have you decided to wait to see UK prices first (which will probably be begin/mid april).

    I will be using it at home mainly but will admit having the 3g would be a nice option if it was similar to US contract type. However, I already get 500 openzone minutes free a month, could add The cloud for £6.99 a month to if I found it was worth it.

    I live in main london, so finding a coffee shop or somewhere with wifi is not an issue.

    So what has everyone else done?

    Biggest fear is that it comes out at £599 for 64gb wifi here and then £699 for 3g version (would kick myself if that close), but if it was a tie in contract than I would go for wifi only though. Already have the iPhone and if really wanted it, I would just grab a mifi pay as you go here in the UK on 3 mobile.

    Ok, warranty I understand is international so that is good, plug not an issue I have loads of UK plugs for apple (not any for US though and holiday planned late summer so would be handy)...

    Ok, am 80% about doing it just wanted to see what other people had done and why.



  2. Ratty macrumors 6502

    Sep 29, 2007
    Hampshire, UK
    I'm also waiting for confirmation from Bundlebox as to when I can order. I'm sitting on the fence at the moment and not sure whether to order or to wait the extra weeks. I will go for the 64gb version or the same with 3G if I wait for the UK release.

    To Bundlebox or not Bundlebox that is the question.....
  3. decson thread starter macrumors regular

    May 15, 2009
    London, UK

    I had kinda worked out that the 64gb wifi would prob be 599 here. So £40 more isn't too bad, especially asI will order a dock or two and want to order some t shirts, so saves on postage costs doing it all at once.

    The benefit of the 3g would be for using out and about, but wifi is pretty much everywhere now.. Even when you go abroad you can get one of those international wifi vouchers from openzone for £30 for 500 minutes (ok has to use it in 14 days or something but ideal for a holiday :) ) My iphone costs me that for the data bolt on when in europe, i wouldn't add it with this and just got for ipad voucher and use it on both!

    Ok 90% there now, must be the pre new toy thing.. Sold laptop a few months back to buy this as have iMac at home and its killing me having to go to iMac to browse or do email properly..

    Will decide when I get the email, but would be nice to have by the wednesday that week :)

  4. iWoz macrumors 6502a


    Jan 12, 2009
    East Midlands, U.K
    Im sitting on the fence aswell, I want the 64gb wifi version althought the 3g has also been in question.

    Just out of curiosity how much is the 64gb on bundlebox? and how much is the 64gb predicted for the UK? just so I can get a rough estimate as whether its worth waiting or not
  5. decson thread starter macrumors regular

    May 15, 2009
    London, UK
    For the 2-3 day service its 695 through bundle box..

    Its was 650, but the guy had done a mistake on the forum :-( kinda put me in two minds again.

    When I worked out the prices using the other apple items as ref, I thought it would be 399 - 16gig 499 - 32 gig 599 - 64gb. then add £100 for 3g. But thats if its the same model as states... If they do a contract only tie in deal I don't want 3g..

    Is it worth 100 to get it (if these are right) early.. But also there have been rumors of 499, 599 and 699 for wifi only version. Who knows.. thats the issue..

    Perhaps it will between the both, but?
  6. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    I was one of the lucky ones, getting my pre-order in on Friday before the company shut up shop on iPad pre-orders, temporarily.
    I currently have a 16GB Wi-Fi Only model on Pre-Order for delivery to the UK.

    I've already received an e-mail confirming they have bought the product on my behalf,
    complete with funds held on my account and an international shipping number.

    It's on the way to my Bundlebox now. Once it arrives (hopefully April 1st-2nd), they'll e-mail me,
    I'll pay the shipping fees and UK import VAT, and they say they can get it to me via international
    delivery on the morning of April 6th.

    Be warned though, while importing is great and I'm using the service myself,
    there's always a slight chance Apple will cancel these orders made through
    'forwarding' companies.

  7. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

    Nov 20, 2009
    Hey guys can you help the rest of us here a bit.

    How does the bundlebox deal work, do you do it via apple and put as address the one bunldebox provides you? Or do you talk directly to the bundlebox people? And what will the import tax be?

    Any info appreciated thanks.

    Btw, what's the word on the UK launch date?
  8. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    The process is pretty straight forward. You register on the site and immediately receive a unique US billing address via e-mail.
    You then place an order for your goods via their “Buy For Me” service. You are charged immediately for the price of goods ordered.
    They are then delivered to your US BundleBox address, and you receive confirmation via e-mail they have arrived.

    After they arrive at your BundleBox address, (multiple items can be packaged into one order to save on shipping costs),
    they ask you to confirm they are the products you originally ordered, it is then up to you to book shipment to the UK.
    At that point they will invoice you for shipping costs plus VAT.

    So far, the latest word of a UK launch date is "Late April" with pricing unknown.

  9. kernkraft macrumors 68020


    Jun 25, 2009
    1.) How about the extra postage and duty?

    2.) I think the iPad will be priced fairly well in the UK. It's been for a while now that Apple UK was grossly overcharging. I think at one point, it was around 50% (US pre-tax and full UK).
  10. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

    Nov 20, 2009
    Thanks R-fly, stellar response, thanks for taking the time to write this.
  11. WytRaven macrumors 6502

    Mar 19, 2009
    Orbiting Mercury
    Call me paranoid if you will but I would highly recommend against playing with this sort of "service". Why not just wait? Is it really that hard to wait another month?

    Even though I don't know you personally, I still don't want to see any of you get "Burned" :(
  12. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

    Nov 20, 2009
    I what way, it's not illegal?:confused:
  13. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

    Adidas Addict

    Sep 9, 2008
    Its a perfectly legit operation that lots of people have used for ages.
  14. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

    Apr 20, 2009
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I'm still deciding (and now awaiting the 'you can order!' email). I can wait another 25 days to go and buy one in the UK. Just don't want to feel royally ripped off if UK pricing turns out to be reasonable and I laid out £600 to get one shipped from the US.

    On the other hand, I want one. As soon as possible. :rolleyes:
  15. the_fellowship macrumors regular

    Aug 10, 2008
    London, UK
    How does the warranty work on iPads bought via Bundlebox? Can you go to any Apple store if you have any issues? Just curious to know if there's any long term advantages to waiting for the UK release? e.g. the "battery" replacement option?
  16. tdream macrumors 65816

    Jan 15, 2009
    There's no way it'll cost £499 for the 16gig. It will definitely be cheaper and the scaling is not going to be in £100 increments either. You will be paying through the nose to get it early, but it's your choice.
  17. Bentron macrumors 6502

    Jul 10, 2008
    My biggest worry is just finding out that I have payed more than I need to, especially since I had worked out a savings plan to get one by April. I mean I could technically get it now, but it probably wouldn't be the wisest financial move.

    Also I think the main reason I and probably a few of you want to use the service (correct me if I'm wrong here) is because we are just so gosh darn jealous of the Americans! Being on a forum where they are talking about how they have ordered theirs and that they only have to wait 3 weeks, yet we don't even have a price just doesn't seem fair. Oh and who here gets annoyed when they are complaining about their accessories arriving a day late, oh boo hoo. *climbs down from soap box*

    On the other hand I know that if I don't hold out, I will get jealous of the people who have waited and get to go to the Apple Store to pick theirs up despite already owning one... I know, it makes no sense.

    Stupid BundleBox, you've messed with my head!:mad:
  18. Thrillho... macrumors newbie


    Mar 11, 2010
    +1 I do.
  19. LaNex macrumors 6502

    Feb 13, 2010
    I'll be keeping an eye on you guys that have done the bundlebox thing, just to see how it works out for you. If I had the money to do this I might, but I don't, so I can't. I have to wait. Which is no biggie.
  20. gwynne macrumors 68000


    Mar 11, 2010
    This Bundlebox company is claiming to be getting iPads ahead of the street date?
  21. mattyboy7110 macrumors member

    Sep 15, 2008
    I did this yesterday but I bought it myself from Apple using the address they gave me. This saves me the "buy for me" fee, so works out cheaper.

    Totally gobsmacked that they accepted my UK visa debit card especially with the wrong address but then again if they didn't do that there'd be no such thing as Internet fraud would there? We've got to keep our criminals in business during this recession!

    Anyway, my concerns with this are:

    1. Will they be open on Saturday to take delivery of the items? If not, then it'll be Monday.
    2. How slow is the site going to be when they are adding all the received iPads in and we have to go and book our delivery?
    3. How many staff do they have to turn around all these iPads quickly?
  22. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    You're welcome!

    Apologies. I should have made myself more clear. That is the time-frame
    I expect Apple will ship the devices out to the couriers, for delivery.

    I then expect the device to actually hit my BundleBox on or before April 3rd.
    BundleBox have already stated both Fedex International and themselves are
    working Easter Monday to get these iPad orders out.

    According to Bundlebox, the device will ship on Monday April 5th,
    for 2-3 day delivery on Wednesday April 7th. :cool:


Share This Page