To buy a Mac Book Pro.. or to wait...

logangetter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
2
0
Title pretty much says it all, just looking for opinions.

I was looking at getting a 13" Retina Mac Book Pro 8GB RAM.

Do you think I should get it now or wait to see if they will be coming out with new ones?

Thanks!
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,753
142
Do you need it right now? If not, wait to see if something is announced in March/April.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
64,167
30,751
Boston
I don't see anything coming out for a significant amount of time. Apple will update their computer line when Intel updates their CPUs and we're not going to see Broadwell for some time.
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
4,539
412
Atlanta
I noted in your question that you were not looking for anything in particular in the next Mac refresh. In that case, there is nothing special to wait for. If you wait for the next big thing...you will always wait and miss out on benefits of having a killer machine now.

The refresh changes will likely be announced at WWDC in June.

Always check the AppleInsider price list before making a purchase.
http://prices.appleinsider.com
 

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
375
1
Title pretty much says it all, just looking for opinions.

I was looking at getting a 13" Retina Mac Book Pro 8GB RAM.

Do you think I should get it now or wait to see if they will be coming out with new ones?

Thanks!
Personally, I think a year is a very long to wait. Buy one now and be happy.
 

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
2,880
382
Wait till June and then decide...June is not too far ! But when u wait till June u will feel, let me wait till Next March till the Broadwell chips come out :D but I think you should wait atleast till June !!
 

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
1,317
88
Wait till June and then decide...June is not too far ! But when u wait till June u will feel, let me wait till Next March till the Broadwell chips come out :D but I think you should wait atleast till June !!
June is about the midpoint from now until the expected refresh. Right now June would be an almost certainly useless time to wait for.

The way it looks right now there isn't anything big coming for 8+ months, it's a good time to buy.
 

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
11,971
10,931
In the middle of several books.
If you want a new computer and can afford it, get one. Even if a new model with different specs came out, it doesn't make the current model any less worthy or capable of use.

As soon as one buys a computer or phone, one will be behind the Jone's in less than a year. The constant waiting with that kind of mindset is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

Computers are meant to be used and enjoyed, not day traded, as if they were stock.
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
4,539
412
Atlanta
If you want a new computer and can afford it, get one. Even if a new model with different specs came out, it doesn't make the current model any less worthy or capable of use.

As soon as one buys a computer or phone, one will be behind the Jone's in less than a year. The constant waiting with that kind of mindset is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

Computers are meant to be used and enjoyed, not day traded, as if they were stock.

Exactly!
 

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
2,880
382
June is about the midpoint from now until the expected refresh. Right now June would be an almost certainly useless time to wait for.

The way it looks right now there isn't anything big coming for 8+ months, it's a good time to buy.
The OP was asking do I wait so I said if you are in a mood to wait and if you can hold on till June do that and see what you wanna do next ;)
 

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
1,317
88
The OP was asking do I wait so I said if you are in a mood to wait and if you can hold on till June do that and see what you wanna do next ;)
Right and I'm saying the rMBPs aren't going to change a lot (if any) before June. If you want until June your just going to get closer to a big update, but you're not going to get a big update by then so you're losing "newest model" time and restarting the "I'll just wait for the next big thing" cycle.
 

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
2,880
382
I am planning to do that ! if I wanna keep a machine for 5 Years I think I will make it big, As they say I will go for the Kill ! Broadwell Here I come !! :D
 

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
1,061
18
It all depends on when you want to switch. Want to keep it 5 years? Want to keep it 1 year? Want to keep it until the next version? I keep my Macs about 10-12 months maximum so I just bought the 13". Thinking of just giving it to my wife and buying the 15" for me this weekend though.
 

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
1,719
1,142
I had been wanting to wait until the minor spec bump in the summer, but I'm starting to change my mind.

Historically I've tried to time purchases on larger refreshes and then make the computer last for 3+ years. But my computer is so critical to my job and my usage is so demanding (lots of video and 3d work), that it is starting to feel worth it to just go out and get an updated machine when I need it. The machine I'd buy in 8 months will be faster. But that's 8 more months with my current computer that no longer feels up to the task.