To buy a Mac Book Pro.. or to wait...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logangetter, Feb 26, 2014.

1. logangetter macrumors newbie

Title pretty much says it all, just looking for opinions.

I was looking at getting a 13" Retina Mac Book Pro 8GB RAM.

Do you think I should get it now or wait to see if they will be coming out with new ones?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you need it right now? If not, wait to see if something is announced in March/April.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see anything coming out for a significant amount of time. Apple will update their computer line when Intel updates their CPUs and we're not going to see Broadwell for some time.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I noted in your question that you were not looking for anything in particular in the next Mac refresh. In that case, there is nothing special to wait for. If you wait for the next big thing...you will always wait and miss out on benefits of having a killer machine now.

The refresh changes will likely be announced at WWDC in June.

Always check the AppleInsider price list before making a purchase.
    http://prices.appleinsider.com

5. Laco macrumors 6502

Personally, I think a year is a very long to wait. Buy one now and be happy.

6. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Wait till June and then decide...June is not too far ! But when u wait till June u will feel, let me wait till Next March till the Broadwell chips come out :D but I think you should wait atleast till June !!

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

June is about the midpoint from now until the expected refresh. Right now June would be an almost certainly useless time to wait for.

The way it looks right now there isn't anything big coming for 8+ months, it's a good time to buy.

8. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If you want a new computer and can afford it, get one. Even if a new model with different specs came out, it doesn't make the current model any less worthy or capable of use.

As soon as one buys a computer or phone, one will be behind the Jone's in less than a year. The constant waiting with that kind of mindset is an exercise in futility, in my opinion.

Computers are meant to be used and enjoyed, not day traded, as if they were stock.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Exactly!

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

11. logangetter thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the feedback, I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow!

:):):)

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Great choice, have fun! :cool:

13. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

The OP was asking do I wait so I said if you are in a mood to wait and if you can hold on till June do that and see what you wanna do next ;)

14. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Right and I'm saying the rMBPs aren't going to change a lot (if any) before June. If you want until June your just going to get closer to a big update, but you're not going to get a big update by then so you're losing "newest model" time and restarting the "I'll just wait for the next big thing" cycle.

15. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

I am planning to do that ! if I wanna keep a machine for 5 Years I think I will make it big, As they say I will go for the Kill ! Broadwell Here I come !! :D

16. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

It all depends on when you want to switch. Want to keep it 5 years? Want to keep it 1 year? Want to keep it until the next version? I keep my Macs about 10-12 months maximum so I just bought the 13". Thinking of just giving it to my wife and buying the 15" for me this weekend though.

17. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I had been wanting to wait until the minor spec bump in the summer, but I'm starting to change my mind.

Historically I've tried to time purchases on larger refreshes and then make the computer last for 3+ years. But my computer is so critical to my job and my usage is so demanding (lots of video and 3d work), that it is starting to feel worth it to just go out and get an updated machine when I need it. The machine I'd buy in 8 months will be faster. But that's 8 more months with my current computer that no longer feels up to the task.