To buy a MacBook or not

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by samk8000, Aug 25, 2010.

1. samk8000 macrumors regular

samk8000

I have just gotten into video editing, web design and app design. I am saving up for the i7 MacBook pro, but I won't be able to get it for almost a year and a half, but, I am wondering if I should spend the money and get the 2.26/2.4ghz c2d Refurbished MacBook or even the Mac Mini. How much money would I loose after reselling it when I am going to buy the MacBook pro? I have a screen that I could use if that helps with the Mac Mini.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I would go ahead and get one right now, a year is a long time to wait. Macs do hold their value but u do however lose out a big chunk. Don't worry about the losing money though.

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

If you're going to be using it professionally it should take long to pay for itself, plus editing video on a mini sounds painful.

4. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

Mike225

Buy a used Macbook Pro and then resell it later. you will take a slight hit, but since you bought it used already it shouldnt be as bad.

5. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

I was only going to use Final cut express though for the moment and it wasn't actually going to use it professionally, just for personal use.

6. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

It would still need a lot of power under the hood (i.e. a powerful computer) because stuff like that needs lots of RAM.

7. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I had an old Intel mini and found it pretty slow. Don't know about the new one, but I have been editing many times on a Core Duo MBP with Final Cut without any issue. No full feature though...

8. samk8000 thread starter macrumors regular

samk8000

would the new mini 2.4 be any better?