Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
That is the question. I want to get a 40 gig iPod, but should I wait a little longer? Are new ones coming with bigger sizes and more capabilities, or is this months off and I'm only kidding myself? Aargh... :confused:

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Well, a lot of people tend to believe 80gig versions are coming out. The people I worked with on work experience, at an Apple resellers, said there'd be an 80gig at some point.

How long - nobody knows.

peace.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Wait for the 50GB ipod coming out at the end of the month ---
15/25/50GB is next.
peace.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
well... since the demise of Apple Computer and the birth of Apple Digital Music is nearly obvious at this point... id say there is a better shot at new ipods this month than updated computer lines... i mean... who would want a better computer when you can carry 1,000,000,000 songs in your pocket...

seriously though... i would wait a little longer on the ipod... especially if you dont really "have to have" it just yet... they can only get bigger and maybe better battery life... who knows...

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I have one, I did get it a few months ago, but the thing is great. The bottom line is, you can always wait for the next big thing, you just have to realize that it's a cycle. There will always be something cooler around the corner, so if you want something now and can afford it, I say go for it!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Wait until the next update of iPods. They might have some new goodies that the current versions don't have now. Like the prior post, it seems that Apple is focusing on music hardware and not on Powerbooks G5 and new iMacs.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
djkny said:
Wait for the 50GB ipod coming out at the end of the month ---
15/25/50GB is next.
peace.

i would guess 60/30/15 would be next. 25 probably won't happen because it would economically make more sense to re-offer prev. iPod sizes at cheaper prices to get rid of inventories and avoid having to edit packagings, etc. (this has been going on for a while now. 3rd gen. first came out in 30/15/10, then 40/20/10, then 40/20/15.)

after that, i'd imagine an update to 60/40/20...

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
sorry to go against the flow, but I think you should buy one right now. There is NO way to predict when Apple will roll out new ones - and the current models have no real issues that need fixing. If you really need more than 40GB of space, then wait. If you don't - grab the 40GB now and start jammin'. :D

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
but unlike computer revisions... where you cant really get the previous computer at a lower price... you can essentially get the same ipod at a lower price once the scale bumps up...

so if soire only needs 40 gigs and buys now he'll pay 499.99
if soire only needs 40 gigs and waits til the next scale that will most definatley put it at the middle price point making it only 399.99

but if soire just wants the 40 because its top of the line then waiting will get him more capacity for his 499.99

if he doesnt need any more than 40 gigs and has the 499.99 disposible income... then buy now... otherwise wait til the end of the month...

i could use a little more space than my 30gig... i hope the 60gig rumors are true... thatll give me space for ALL my music and extra space for anything else...

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
personally i'd just buy it

i can't forsee new ipods until the next macworld expo..

if you NEED more room then i'd wait, but if you don't just buy buy buy

Soire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I do indeed want to get as much space as possible, but I do have the cash to buy now. Maybe I'll just wait till the end of the month- but is there really any chance that iPod revisions are coming out that soon, and am I only depriving myself of iPod fun time? The inner struggle rages on...

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
Soire,
It's always a struggle. That's why Apple Computer, Inc. is a Jonestown Cult. Steve Jobs as "Jim Jones," the iPod as "Kool Aid," MacWorld and WWDC as "the people's temple."

We wait and wait and wait. We follow, consume time, consume gigs, consume life. And we buy and upgrade, trade in and trade up. It's a psychological entrapment, let's face it. Instead of buying, enjoying and turning off our computers, we buy, then go to forums and see if we should've waited. OCD at its finest.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
g30ffr3y said:
well... since the demise of Apple Computer and the birth of Apple Digital Music is nearly obvious at this point......

Wow, some people are just bitter aren't they. I keep hearing this over and over. Apple is not abandoning computers. We as Mac users have gotten so spoiled, so used to great things so often, that we can't even wait for new stuff to come out. When the new Powerbooks and Powermacs are ready they will be ready. Instead we could always demand half-assed buggy products. Engineering is all about compromises. I'd rather Apple doesn't compromise on quality just to keep people from complaining by releasing a not ready system.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Just buy it!! An extra 10GB of space doesn't compare with playing with your first iPod (unless you "really" need that space.)

If they upgrade iPods the next day - who cares?? You've got a kickass product that everyone loves - and by far, the most sought after x-mas item. Product crazes happen for a reason!! (except for tickle-me-elmo -- that was just weird.)

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
Krizoitz said:
Wow, some people are just bitter aren't they. I keep hearing this over and over. Apple is not abandoning computers. We as Mac users have gotten so spoiled, so used to great things so often, that we can't even wait for new stuff to come out. When the new Powerbooks and Powermacs are ready they will be ready. Instead we could always demand half-assed buggy products. Engineering is all about compromises. I'd rather Apple doesn't compromise on quality just to keep people from complaining by releasing a not ready system.

i know its all for the best that apple wont release a G5 powerbook that will end up melting itself... i just wanted to hop on the bandwagon for a moment... ive never started a "new macs this tuesday thread" so i had to get it out of my system...

i really am waiting for a dual three gig powermac and thirty inch cinema display... i hope it does happen some day... til then i am happily computing on my tibook, quicksilver and still love my tiny thirty gig ipod to death...

apple for life... please... apple computer that is...

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Wait. The 3rd generation's touch wheel sucks.
Hopefully Apple will incorporate the mini's user interface into the 4th generation iPods.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
it may be helpful to know how much music you actually have. if you want to wait till the end of the month, i don't think that's a good idea. then when the new ipod's are released (i doubt it would be this month) you will say 'i should have waited another month' instead of 'i should have waited another 2 months'. trust me; the same thing happened with me and waiting for new ibook's. 2 weeks after i got my imac, g4 ibooks. i really kicked myself for that.

Soire

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
Thanks for all the advice...

I have decided to wait on the iPod at least till NAB when *something* should be released. In the meantime I am going to order a 250 gig LaCie d2 triple interface hard drive. I'll probably need it anyways. Does anybody know where to get a new one cheap? Otherwise I'll just get it off the homepage.

http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10116

Thanks. ;)

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Soire said:
I have decided to wait on the iPod at least till NAB when *something* should be released. In the meantime I am going to order a 250 gig LaCie d2 triple interface hard drive. I'll probably need it anyways. Does anybody know where to get a new one cheap? Otherwise I'll just get it off the homepage.

http://lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10116

Thanks. ;)

Newegg.com usually has good prices on hard drives... not sure if they carry Lacie, but it's a good place to check.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
oh come one. . . im still using a 1st gen 10 GB iPod. . . battery still works and it still does everything it needs to!! (though i have gone through a couple of sets of earbuds) unless you have >40 GB of music right now you might as well get the 40GB. I am almost in need of a larger than 10GB drive (i only have 300 mb free and am constantly deleting songs to make sure i dont fill it up) but if you have 40GB or more then wait till a bigger iPod comes out. . . cause it is very nice to get ALL of your music in one place!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.