To buy MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Jun 2, 2014.

  1. andrewtm macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    #1
    I currently have a 13-inch mid 2009 and I'm headed off to college this summer and would like a new one. Since there was no announcement today about hardware, should I wait or get one now? I have a feeling they would release one in the fall but I'm not positive. Also, would the update be major?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If they do update the MBP line shortly, it will be just a minor spec bump. Nothing major will occur until Intel releases broadwell which they won't until the holiday season (as they stated).

    Buy it now and enjoy :)
     
  3. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    #3
    I'm thinking that judging by their regular release cycle that they would update it around October which is fine, but since this is such a big investment I wouldn't want a redesign to come out months later, you know?
     
  4. puma1552 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2008
    #4
    I wouldn't bother buying now. The current machines have been on the shelf for what, ~8 months now? I doubt Apple will update before the holiday if they didn't now, they probably won't bother updating until February-April next year (and I'd bet it won't be until the latter end of that timeframe).

    Honestly I get fairly tired of Apple stretching out their upgrades to 1+ years at a time; it was bad enough when you had to wait 8 months between real refreshes, now with them being even less frequent I am loathe to give them a dime unless something is extremely fresh. I don't like the idea of buying the same machine at the same price that has been out for 8, 12, or 14 months; it's basically close to a year old already.

    I'd just wait until 2015 at this point, you're halfway there and your current computer works fine.
     
  5. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2012
    #5
    Very true, thanks for the input! For the time being though, is there anything I can do to speed up or refresh my computer? I recently installed a 500 gb HDD and 8 gb of RAM, but that didn't seem to do much
     
  6. OSX15 macrumors member

    OSX15

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2014
    Location:
    Cyberspace
    #6
    Accidentally made a similar thread around the same time the OP opened it.. I'm in the same boat.. looking forward to buying a mac for my Web development and graphical work but the kinda outdated hardware seems to hold me back :( I wouldn't mind it so much if I bought a refresh.. the whole broadwell thing seems very nice but waiting that long from now on seems like a looong time
     
  7. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

    HyperliteG4

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2002
    Location:
    Southern California
    #7
    I'm in the same boat. I'm currently on a early 2011 15", 2.3 i7 MBP and am feeling the need to upgrade. I was hoping the Broadwell chips would be out sooner but I'm highly doubtful at this point.

    I do web design/development along with some video editing (GoPro & DSLR) and need a retina screen and would like a machine that supports Bluetooth LE for some of the new 10.10 features coming out soon. I have some money saved to get a pretty well maxed out machine and was hoping something new would be out around Oct/Nov of this year.
     
  8. kic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2008
    #8
    Yank out the hard disk and install an SSD [of adequate size for your needs]. Then it'll feel like a new machine.
     
  9. friedkimchi macrumors regular

    friedkimchi

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #9
    I would wait. I'm waiting for an updated rMBP (so that prices will drop on existing models) or the mythical rMBA, whichever comes first.

    I just want an IPS screen + good battery life(7hr+), the processors won't make much difference to me.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    I don't expect a major revamp, they just did that with the first rMBP back in 2012.
     
  11. orion10 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2013
    #11
    I was wondering about this too with OS 10.10 (Yosemite) coming out in Fall 2014.

    So you guys still think that no big updates will happen?
     

Share This Page