To buy MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Jun 2, 2014.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I currently have a 13-inch mid 2009 and I'm headed off to college this summer and would like a new one. Since there was no announcement today about hardware, should I wait or get one now? I have a feeling they would release one in the fall but I'm not positive. Also, would the update be major?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If they do update the MBP line shortly, it will be just a minor spec bump. Nothing major will occur until Intel releases broadwell which they won't until the holiday season (as they stated).

Buy it now and enjoy :)

3. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking that judging by their regular release cycle that they would update it around October which is fine, but since this is such a big investment I wouldn't want a redesign to come out months later, you know?

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

I wouldn't bother buying now. The current machines have been on the shelf for what, ~8 months now? I doubt Apple will update before the holiday if they didn't now, they probably won't bother updating until February-April next year (and I'd bet it won't be until the latter end of that timeframe).

Honestly I get fairly tired of Apple stretching out their upgrades to 1+ years at a time; it was bad enough when you had to wait 8 months between real refreshes, now with them being even less frequent I am loathe to give them a dime unless something is extremely fresh. I don't like the idea of buying the same machine at the same price that has been out for 8, 12, or 14 months; it's basically close to a year old already.

I'd just wait until 2015 at this point, you're halfway there and your current computer works fine.

5. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Very true, thanks for the input! For the time being though, is there anything I can do to speed up or refresh my computer? I recently installed a 500 gb HDD and 8 gb of RAM, but that didn't seem to do much

6. OSX15 macrumors member

OSX15

Accidentally made a similar thread around the same time the OP opened it.. I'm in the same boat.. looking forward to buying a mac for my Web development and graphical work but the kinda outdated hardware seems to hold me back :( I wouldn't mind it so much if I bought a refresh.. the whole broadwell thing seems very nice but waiting that long from now on seems like a looong time

7. HyperliteG4 macrumors regular

HyperliteG4

I'm in the same boat. I'm currently on a early 2011 15", 2.3 i7 MBP and am feeling the need to upgrade. I was hoping the Broadwell chips would be out sooner but I'm highly doubtful at this point.

I do web design/development along with some video editing (GoPro & DSLR) and need a retina screen and would like a machine that supports Bluetooth LE for some of the new 10.10 features coming out soon. I have some money saved to get a pretty well maxed out machine and was hoping something new would be out around Oct/Nov of this year.

8. kic macrumors newbie

Yank out the hard disk and install an SSD [of adequate size for your needs]. Then it'll feel like a new machine.

9. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

I would wait. I'm waiting for an updated rMBP (so that prices will drop on existing models) or the mythical rMBA, whichever comes first.

I just want an IPS screen + good battery life(7hr+), the processors won't make much difference to me.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't expect a major revamp, they just did that with the first rMBP back in 2012.

11. orion10 macrumors newbie

I was wondering about this too with OS 10.10 (Yosemite) coming out in Fall 2014.

So you guys still think that no big updates will happen?