To buy new editing software now or wait...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BigSky20, May 1, 2009.

  1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2007
    I am moving by editing from a PC to Mac. I previously used Sony Vegas and I either want to purchase Final Cut Studio 2 or CS4 production suite. I really like Final Cut Studio 2. However, I do not want to buy and have Apple release Final Cut Studio 3 right after. I have downloaded the CS4 production suite and I find After Effects very complicated compared to what I have seen of motion. I will not be doing any commercial editing. Only short independent movies shot exclusively with AVCHD cameras. My question relates to thoughts when FCS2 came out. Is it usually buggy at first release? If so, I may get FCS2 now and wait 6 months after the release of FCS3 to upgrade. The other factor of course is CS4's native support for the AVCHD format.

    Also, I do not want to mix and match. I would like to stay with either FCS or CS4 suite.

    Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3


    Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you have stuff to work on now then I'd buy FCS 2 now. No one knows when FCS 3 will be announced let alone released. Many people assumed it would be last week at NAB because that would stay true to Apple's two year cycle but obviously that didn't happen. The next rumor is for WWDC in early/mid June. Even when it does get released typically it takes a month or so for the first big, bug killing update and if the next FCP gets a big rewrite and it's coded to really take advantage of Snow Leopard the wait time for a stable version of FCP will be longer than normal.

  3. nutmac macrumors 68040

    Mar 30, 2004
    If you find After Effects CS4 to be confusing, FCS won't be any easier. Having tried both, I personally find AE to be easier to use actually (especially with native AVCHD editing).

    If you are willing to learn, however, FCS is still a good choice. However, given the cost of FCS and fact that Apple updates Final Cut once every 2 years (the last update was 2 years ago), I would wait.
  4. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

    Jul 26, 2007
    Thanks for the responses. To be more specific, I like the particles and behaviors in motion compared to straight layers and keyframing. My biggest concern is if Apple's Pro Res will look great with AVCHD. I have a feeling if I wait for FCS3, it could be a couple of months. Good thing are friends at Apple like to be quiet on product release dates.
  5. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a


    Nov 25, 2007
    Whenever a new version of FCP comes out I generally wait 6 months or so for the bugs to be worked out. Once those bugs are worked out FCP runs very smoothly and rarely has problems, at least for me. So if something is released in June I'd suggest waiting until the end of the year anyway.

Share This Page