Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I just sold my my last iPad.

I bought the first one, liked it enough to buy a second one, since it was in high demand amongst the family. As a long time Apple customer, I knew the 2nd generation would be much better, so I decided to sell these two now before rumors turned to facts about the release of iPad 2.

I was about to list the reasons (besides resale) I chose to sell now, when I came across this great quote from Crunch Base. They've said it best:

"It’s not about nostalgia, it’s about the future. And the future is the iPad 2."

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
So you've bought and sold two iPads in the course of 7-8 months? It sounds like you were happy with it, enough to buy a second time, but you are willing to sell it early to get top dollar before the second one is announced with unknown features and design.

I'm missing the logic.

If you're worried about the cost, start saving now and then sell the original after you have the second one in hand. It's not about the future. It's about the experience and enjoyment of using the future now.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
You should sell your Mac and iPhone now, too.

This way you can get top dollar before the new ones come out in a few months and you end up paying a +/- $80 "tax" for being asleep at the switch and enjoying your electronics all year round.

After all, it's not about nostalgia, it about the future. And the future is iPhone 5 and OSXI...

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
I just sold my my last iPad.

I bought the first one, liked it enough to buy a second one, since it was in high demand amongst the family. As a long time Apple customer, I knew the 2nd generation would be much better, so I decided to sell these two now before rumors turned to facts about the release of iPad 2.

I was about to list the reasons (besides resale) I chose to sell now, when I came across this great quote from Crunch Base. They've said it best:

"It’s not about nostalgia, it’s about the future. And the future is the iPad 2."

What is the purpose of these repeat threads? Everyday it is a new one about should I buy or not buy. Aren't people smart enough to know what they want to do without having someone tell them?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense, but I guess if you really want to be without an iPad for a few months while you wait there's nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'd focus on what is available in the present and use that instead of being worried about something that may come out in the future.

jwesty5

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010

And in June 2011 when you hear "....And the future is the iPad 3." What will you do?

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i agree that it's about the future. when the new ipad comes out, i'll decide if i'm ready to upgrade or not.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
i agree that it's about the future. when the new ipad comes out, i'll decide if i'm ready to upgrade or not.

Same here, will wait for the new iPad then evaluate whether it's worth the $150ish loss to sell the old one and buy a new one. There's no point in selling now and save a few bucks just to miss out on using an iPad for months, I bought it for the purpose of using it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.