To buy now or wait. .

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, May 29, 2009.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

i.shaun here, I feel like I'm spamming now seeing as this is my third or fourth thread in line of recent events.

Anyway, my iMac is toast. I have no apple store around here, I have an Internal HDD issue (AHT Error Code: 4MOT/2/40000004: HDD), and I'm not sure when it will finally draw it's last breath, so to speak.

I'll probably look at a macbook pro, however I don't know if It's wise to buy one at the moment. Is Snow Leopard out now? Or will I just screw myself by getting 10.5, then having to buy Snow Leopard next month as they release it?

Also, are there newer versions of mac book pros coming out soon? How do I check on such info?

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Snow Leopard may come out within the next month or two, but I wouldn't look for an updated MacBook Pro in that timeframe. With the new back-to-school deal with the free iPod Touch, I can't see Apple also updating the laptops during the same promotion.

3. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Alright so I guess I should just hold out for a month or two. I'd like to also get Windows on it, but apparently Windows 7 isn't out yet. I think I'll wait for that rather than put Vista on

Another option would be to grab one now, then update to snow leopard but it would probably be better to wait.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's a Windows 7 release candidate available for download, it's good for a year. Might be worth a look until the "real thing" is available.

5. shwc macrumors regular

I do not think your imac is dying; Your hard drive perhaps, but not your imac. A quick install of a new hard drive and you are good to go.

Now if you wish to use a dying hard drive as an excuse to purchase a brand new computer, by all means do so. I have certainly used simillar excuses myself. :D

6. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

I don't even know if I can access this thing's HDD, and even then I'm not sure if that is the problem because disk verification is always good

Shouldn't I hear clicking, and be getting bad/corrupt sectors if it's the HDD?

This iMac is late 2006, getting old. I think it would be better to get a new mac, up to date, and in working order.

edit:
    I have attempted opening the iMac in the past, I can't seem to get the plastic off the front. It slides off from the bottom, but the top where the iSight is seems to be stuck, and the iSight looks connected to it, so I don't want to snap it off.

I can't see in there very well, and I have tried moving it in whatever way I could incase it's clipped on, but again, I don't want to break the iSight or the plastic casing (or worse if that's possible).

7. shwc macrumors regular

There should be disassemble guides available. I usually get them from ifixit.com. Unfortunately they do not appear to have guides for imac.

You can always take your computer to an apple certified repair shop and pay them to install a new hard drive.

As to how often one should normally replace a computer, everyone use a different formula. Every three to five years is quite reasonable. You are in the zone.

Myself: If you have the core duo version, I would definitely buy a new computer. If you have core 2 duo then it is less clear.

P.S.
    As to clicking.
    Yep clicking is usually imminent death.
    Bad sectors do not cause clicking (in my experience).
    Disk utility programs can identify (and sometimes isolate) bad sectors (e.g., Disc Warrior; I am not sure about Apples disc utility)